Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Victor Morgan
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
About to pull the trigger: Questions about making first rental specific purchases

Victor Morgan
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Posted Apr 5 2015, 19:23

Hello BiggerPocket Community,

I currently have one rental (the home that I used to live in) and am refinancing so I will soon have ~60k to spend on purchasing rental properties.

I'm looking at two properties and would appreciate the communities feedback in the purchases as well as in the structure of the deals.

Property 1. 28k house, can pay cash, currently rented for $450 per month by the same person for the last 13 years (according to the listing agent). After taxes, upkeep and insurance, I'd cash-flow ~300 per month for a CAP rate of ~13%. Could inquire about owner-financing, however its an estate sale and the heirs likely want cash.

Property 2. ~40k house and get owner financing for the remainder. Currently rented for $650. Would ask for 20k down, 20k owner-financed at 8% for 5 years. After taxes, insurance, upkeep and vacancy, I'd be able to have a positive cash-flow of ~70 per month for a CAP rate of 14.5 and an ROI of 25%.

These houses have been updated consistent with the standards of the neighborhood, but one of them will likely need a roof in a few years. Obviously neither are currently in the best areas, but  the city is growing and there is a possibility for some appreciation. The numbers seem to work even if I sell the units at the purchase price years down-the-road.

The remaining funds will be kept in reserve for about a year in case a surprise develops with the houses/renters.

Questions:

-are the structures of the deals reasonable (interest rate, timeline, percent down)?

-is anything hidden in the numbers that I quoted that raises red-flags that I may have missed something glaring?

-my current rental property is worth ~200k, these will be my first rentals on the lower-income side of town. Any advice/recommendations about differences to expect and the best way to handle them?

Loading replies...