• Rental Property Investor
  • Marlton, NJ
Votes |
Made an Offer on an REO - What's Next?

Harry Metzinger
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Marlton, NJ
Posted Jan 5 2016, 17:48

Hi BP, excited to say I made my first offer as an educated real estate investor today on a Freddie Mac REO property. I emphasize the "educated" part b/c I made an offer on an investment property 14 months ago...and then realized I had no idea what I was walking into. Thankfully that offer (it was on a short sale) was not accepted in the contract period and I was able to get out. Long story short, after realizing how little I knew about real estate investing, I found my local REIA, and through that found out about BiggerPockets, and now I am MUCH more prepared to enter the world of real estate investing.

I am a real estate agent so I submitted my offer directly to the seller's agent this morning. I did not hear anything from the agent today, not even an acknowledgement that he received my offer. My Proposal to Purchase is good for 15 days (which was recommended in a recent BP Blog post). Therefore, I was not expecting an answer today or even tomorrow. However, for those of you who have made offers on Freddie Mac REO properties, I am curious at what point do you think I should follow up, if at all. Also, if the lender counters my offer, how would you respond? More specifically, I am curious if/how the timeliness of the Freddie Mac's response and the amount of the counteroffer in relation to your offer influences your response to their counteroffer.

Thanks for your advice.

Loading replies...