• Real Estate Agent
  • Westwood, NJ
Votes |
Biggest Competition for Investors This Year: The Owner Occupant

Kevin Hill
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westwood, NJ
Posted Feb 28 2017, 08:40

Here in Northern New Jersey, single family inventory is down over 25% from last year and there wasn't exactly a plethora of homes on the market then. This is also happening nationally (http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/24/why-the-supply-of-h...).

I am an REO agent and it seems to be getting tougher and tougher to find good deals for my buyer investors. Banks are wanting full market price for their 'as-is' REOs and others they are actually renovating. Just sold a foreclosure listing where the bank did $85k+ in renovations including 2 completely new bathrooms, upgraded the kitchen, roof, HVAC, redid the floors, and even landscaping. They listed it slightly under value and had a bidding war with the winning buyer paying $10k over the list price.

Even if there is some money to be made on the 'as-is' sales for investors, your new enemy is the owner occupant.

A few years ago, it didn't matter what price point you were at, buyers wanted that updated kitchen with granite and the home to be move-in ready. Those days are done.

With less options to choose from, buyers are willing again to do major renovations to homes. Bad news for investors.

Recently had an REO listing where the home needs an entirely new roof and the 3rd floor needs to be gutted from leaks that permeated down into the 1st floor kitchen.

Never thought an owner occupant would want to buy this house. Bank wanted it priced too high I thought, an investor would never pay that much. Low and behold, I received 2 offers from buyers using renovation loans for full list price. The highest investor bid was $40 below that.

Investors, make sure you are doing your own marketing to generate leads and not relying on the MLS, because those good deals are drying up fast.

Anyone else seeing this in their markets?

Escape From New Jersey Logo

Loading replies...