• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Shady Side, MD
Votes |
Occupied Properties for Sale

Lisa Irving
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Shady Side, MD
Posted Apr 30 2020, 16:52

I constantly see properties for sale (REO, etc.) that say "Occupied. Do not disturb tenant" No showings". Why are these "tenants" (some have leases, some don't) allowed to stay against a property owners will? Where has the law gone wrong? Is it a statewide problem, county or only particular cities that allow this? I understand that landlord tenant laws were made to protect tenants at a time when tenants were taken advantage of but now it seems as if we've gone too far in the other direction. What can be done? Ignoring the problem is not making it go away. At what level of government does this need to be corrected and does anybody care? In the meantime, can anyone give me ideas for how to get tenants out of a property I want to buy. If the banks can't get them out, (and why can't they get them out?), how can I? This problem has been going on for years before the current pandemic so this question is not aimed at people who are unable to pay for their homes at this moment in time. That is not the problem I speak of. This questions is posed for all of the property owners who have been subjected to this for decades. I'm not the only one that wants to know. For those of you that have been successful with occupied properties - any suggestions? I already know about cash-for-keys, going to court, etc. That's what my parents did and it still took 6 months to get the tenant out - after he trashed the property. We've all heard horror stories like this.... and they keep going on. What are long term solutions to this problem? Please share your knowledge!