Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Alex Wilson
Votes |
PA Tax Upset Sale: Can I sell/assign my winning bid?

Alex Wilson
Posted Sep 25 2020, 16:26

I made my first upset tax sale purchase 2 weeks ago in Columbia County PA. A nice 1.1 acre wooded lot with a creek right off the highway (with a fire-damaged house) for $3500.  It came with a $4500 PA public assistance lien and a $12.5k judicial lien.  Before you congratulate me, know that I am a reluctant real estate investor -- I only attended and bid on the property because I am the judgment creditor on the $12.5k lien. I had been tipped off about the sale by some investors who tried to low-ball purchase my lien prior to the sale.  My hope was that someone else would buy the lot at the sale with my lien intact and pay me off.  When that didn't happen, I bid knowing that my lien had pushed out the other bidders at this sale but would be worthless at the next tax sale. 

So since the sale I have already had two offers that would get me back my outlay plus a good chunk of the $12.5k.  I wouldn't mind flipping this without actually taking title.  I know that a successful bidder at a sheriff's sale can assign his winning bid to a 3rd party and the Sheriff will amend the bill of sale so the title can be transferred directly from the foreclosure defendant to the assignee.  Do they allow this for tax claim sales -- can I sell/assign my bid & purchase receipt to another party and avoid owning this property myself?  Or would I have to wait until I have title recorded in my name to sell and transfer the property?

Loading replies...