courthouse auctions

3 Replies

Can someone please tell me how i might find out where and when these auctions take place in New York?

thanks!

When I lived in the States, I would read our local paper where the legal notices are posted and they printed the time/date/place of the sale. Ours was literally on the courthouse steps. They also posted the probates and the sale information on a bulletin board inside the courthouse, which led us to our first probate deal. :D You might also be able to look up the records and see what liens are recorded against properties at your local courthouse, as we were able to. You don't say which county, so I did a quick Google:

Before any foreclosure auction in New York, the terms of sale and the address of the property must be published once a week for four weeks in local periodicals, according to Jon B. Felice, the owner of Jon B. Felice & Associates P.C., a real estate law firm in Manhattan. So while you cannot usually get inside, you can get the address and view the exterior. There are also Web sites that publish foreclosure auction information for all five boroughs for a fee: PropertyShark.com ($129.95 a year), for example, and NYForeclosures.com ($999 a year). Both also offer helpful free tips to nonsubscribers.

Auctions generally take place at New York City's county courthouses. Some 70 percent of the city's foreclosure auctions occur in Brooklyn and Queens, according to PropertyShark...

Sorry...forgot to add the link, which has some meaty information about what size check to bring, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/realestate/09auct.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Also found a link to Nassau County, and expect you can find your local county in a similar fashion.

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/publicadmin/auction.html

I never did get one at auction, but I found a lot of information from my local county recorder/assessor; this helped me to pick up a dozen or so sub-to deals and know what liens were filed against the property, and then work the short sales. Good luck!~

what a great response-thanks!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.