HUD Bid Confirmation numbers

6 Replies

Anyone else notice that sometime within the last few days that HUD has stopped putting the dashed part at the end of the bid confirmations?

I wonder if this is a policy change. I mean I get it since I don't see how it was at all to HUD's benefit to let the bidders know how many bids had already been made on a place.

Of course as a bidder I'm kind of bummed to not have that information. :)

@Mark Ferguson do you know anything about this?

@Shaun Reilly I don't know anything about a policy change, but it doesn't surprise me. HUD always told us that it was not disclosed how many bids there are. I think it may have been an error on their part to show bidders how many bids there were with the confirmation numbers. They probably figured it out and changed.

@Shaun Reilly and @Mark Ferguson - I may be missing something here, or it may vary by region, but my confirmation numbers have always been something like this:

Case Number: 483-412673

Bid Confirmation Number:
Bid Submission Date: 2/20/2014 12:38:11 PM
Bid Status: Cancelled

That's odd, the confirmation number didn't copy/paste, but it was 7282174-8652883. What info can I glean from this number?

Bryan, my @ thing isn't working so hopefully you get this. I have seen bid confirmation numbers just like yours, but they had a -3 at the end that indicated this was the third bid submitted. It may vary by region and asset manager.

@Bryan L. yeah what it is was the number like what you posted with a "- #" at the end that indicated how many other offers there had been.

It wasn't something that HUD told you, but people that put in a lot figured it out pretty easy. Maybe they didn't do it everywhere, as Mark said. But it was pretty nice to know if a place was hot or if nobody else cared. I liked being -1 then after a price drop going in and being -2. :)

Bummer if they stopped. I have been putting in HUD bids regularly for about 3 years so it was very noticeable that I put offers in last Sunday and they were normal and on a couple Thursday they didn't have it and didn't again on Sat. In the end doesn't really change anything that I will do but it was always nice to know if I was only bidding against myself.

It should not matter if HUD has 5 or 100 bids just make your best offer and stick to it.

Joe Gore

@Joe Gore - Yes, it does matter to me. I'm not a newbie trying to pull down my first deal. There are times when I have 2 or 3 rehabs going at the same time, and I may want another but only if I can get a really great deal on it. On the other hand, there are times (like right now) when I have nothing going and would pay a little more to get something in the pipeline. Knowing how many people are making offers can give me an indication if I can maybe wait for a price drop, or do I need to go ahead and try to get it now if their counter offer fits my goals.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here