Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Anastasia Jordan
  • Investor
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
Counter Offer on Tax Sale Properties (Alabama & elsewhere)

Anastasia Jordan
  • Investor
  • Birmingham, AL
Posted May 22 2017, 07:22

One of my coworkers 96 year old grandfather had her go online and apply for a tax delinquent property in his neighborhood (North Birmingham). It has been empty for years. Story is the owners got old moved in with their kids and their kids had their own home and didn't want to be bothered with the house. It's a very large house too. 4 bedroom, 2 bath, den, just a big house.

Taxes on this home have not been paid since 2007.  The quote she received back via email was over $14,000!  She printed out the letter and gave it to her grandfather.  He submitted a hand written counter offer via postal mail.

They (Shelley Tice) emailed my coworker back. 

They accepted his counter offer of.....................$3000!!!! That's less than 22% of the taxes owed!!!!  WE BOTH WERE JUST ABSOLUTELY FLOORED!!!!!  He bought it! Almost 80% off!!!

*****************************************************************************************

Now y'all know with this information I'm about to step my game up!!! I'm gonna play a small hand and see if I can get a counter offer accepted for the 2 empty lots next to my personal home. The taxes on them have not been paid since 2009. As of today the county estimate for the back taxes is $1166.73 for one & $823.54 for the other.  I think $200 & $150 respectively should work.  I just submitted my apps today so I'm going to find out soon enough. 

>>>>>Questions for my seasoned investors................

Have you ever submitted a counter offer on an over-the-counter tax sale property?  

How many years delinquent was it? What was the condition of the property?

Was your offer accepted or rejected?

Did you submit your counter offer via email or postal mail? 

And how did you format your letter!?!?!? I want to be as professional & serious as possible, lol! 

Loading replies...