• Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Votes |
Real Estate Agent Sterotypes

Masyn Grant Barney
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Posted May 19 2022, 07:57

We all know that there is a common stereotype that RE agents are slimy, dishonest, greedy, etc. Why is that? Is it changing? Is it warranted? 

I recently did a LinkedIn Poll where 35% of people said that most real estate agents are "sleazy / slimy / unethical". While that is technically a minority, it still represents a large portion of the public who don't seem to trust agents. In my opinion, this perception isn't unique to real estate agents but is common among sales people as a whole. I believe there are a few main reasons agents receive more of the fallout than other sales people. 

1. Their pay is more transparent. The public loves to self determine what is "too much" to get paid.

2. Their product is more emotional than most. When a transaction goes bad, it is much more personal. 

3. In this market, the mentality that "homes sell themselves" is taken a little too literally

So the questions is, what can agents do to regain the publics trust? Or is this stereotype inherent to the business and a hurdle that will always need to be overcome? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Loading replies...