Votes
Pat Desenberg
  • Urbandale, IA
Votes |
Getting Agent License

Pat Desenberg
  • Urbandale, IA
Posted Oct 1 2017, 09:21

I'm a new (wannabe) investor in the Des Moines area.  I'm currently evaluating SFRs in hopes of buying my first rental.  I'm also trying to read/learn all I can in the meantime.  I'm strongly considering getting my agent license for a few reasons:

• Education.  Since I'm taking the time to educate myself about real estate from an investor standpoint, I might as well get classroom credit for it.
  • Submit my own Offers.  While I've only currently spoken with a few agents in the area about my investment plans, I already get the sense that they aren't too excited to work with investors (at least not if the investor is wanting to make more offers than they're used to.. and possibly lower offers than they're used to).
  • Unrestricted MLS Access.

I've got a couple questions before I dive into the process of courses/exam/license:

• As an agent, I'll need a broker.  Are there brokers our there that work with investors/part-time agents better than others?  Does it matter?
  • I was looking at the coursework through the Iowa Association of Realtors, but was wondering if there were any better/recommended offerings that others may have experience with?  I work a full-time job, so I'd be limited to nights/weekends.
  • Are there any downsides to becoming a licensed agent, as an investor, that I may not be aware of?

Thanks,

Pat

Loading replies...