User Stats

Votes
Van Alva
Votes |
Somewhat New Agent trying to start...Again

Van Alva
Posted Jan 19 2022, 14:46

Hi All,

I got my license at the end of 2019, I was so excited and ready to absorb everything with an agent that was "mentoring" me...then COVID happened and since being a Postal Clerk, I am essential and I am working long hours (my mentor works as a contractor for the post office so he was in the same boat as well).

Fast forward till now, my schedule has gotten back to normal where I am 9-5, but I haven't done anything with my license and now my mentor has been focused more on his own personal property flips and kinda tells me to go out a get clients and call him to help with the process.

Is it that normally what your supposed to do as a new agent. Go off and find someone and get help on the deal, or should there be some kind of training or what not on how am I atleast supposed to obtain clients?

Please help, I feel lost and frustrated 🥴.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 19 2022, 15:39

Nearly 90% of all agents quit within two years. It's not hard to sell a house, but it's hard to find sellers willing to work with you. It generally takes 3+ years to build enough experience and a large enough network to earn a decent living. Unfortunately, nobody is going to build your business for you.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jan 19 2022, 16:25

I'd join a team. They will take a cut but the systems, leads and info will be worth it. As a new agent you will most likely flounder and struggle. Clients won't land in your lap you need to prospect and build your business. If you consistently work on finding new clients then you'll be successful 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jan 19 2022, 18:58

@Van Alva

I believe NAR's statistics is 75% of new agents quit in the first year and by third year 90% have quit...

First, your broker/brokerage should be giving you some training --- we know the prelicensure training doesn't prepare you for sales.

Second, yes, in general YOU need to run your own business as a real estate agent.  Lead generation, showings, transaction mgt, etc. is all up to you.  It is certainly necessary to have somebody to turn to to ask questions as you learning as you go.  If you not your broker, then a manager (if your brokerage is that large), an assigned mentor, or just another agent willing to help you out.  

A team might be the way to go...  But, it depends on how the team is setup.  Usually, one agent has generated so much business and instead of forming their own brokerage, they get other agents to help out.  However, the work is usually divied up.  One agent might be driving around doing showings, another agent just handles paperwork, another answers the phone and schedules stuff, etc.  

There is a huge laundry list of ways to find clients. You are correct, they just don't "walk up to you" (well, unless you are sitting at the office front door desk) and say they are buying "that" house...  As I said your brokerage should be giving you at least some info/tips, they shouldn't be doing it for you, on lead generation.  If they aren't, you need to find another brokerage.

Good luck.