• Real Estate Agent
  • Minot, ND
Votes |
Billboards for Marketing

Amy Raye Rogers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minot, ND
Posted Jan 28 2022, 18:14

I'm close to signing a contract for a billboard location I've been coveting for my agent business.  Anyone have any experience with billboards for marketing? Any suggestions on how to maximize the value?  I also run Facebook ads continuously that import into my CRM.  I'd love to hear about any other suggestions that are working! Feel free to DM me if uncomfortable sharing trade secrets on the open forums.  I'm also happy to share my experiences.

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Sherman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Jan 28 2022, 19:29

I have really been considering the billboard idea too, what kind of rates are you getting for it? I would presume it is based on the daily traffic but I have no idea how it works. 

Top Tier Pro Team at DVG Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 28 2022, 19:36

Billboards don't work when just "playing." You either need to saturate or do something different.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Amy Raye Rogers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minot, ND
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minot, ND
Replied Jan 29 2022, 06:21

@Tanner Sherman I'm getting $550 for 3 years plus $850 set up fee.  The location is right by the major military base in my area.  It is very prominent, but since it's considered a rural location the cost is less than half of what it would be in town.  I've done some polling of military members and more than half respondents were able to tell me what the current featured advertiser is at that location.  Also, there are no other visual distractions nearby.  I noticed in town, that the concentration of advertising is overwhelming. I think this spot's an opportunity. I'm going to go for it!

@Sam Romain I know you're right. I'm going to start with this one and add on more locations along the same path.  When driving into Minneapolis, I noticed Kris Lindahl had dozens of billboards on the interstate I was traveling on. It caught my attention!

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Sherman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Feb 4 2022, 16:04
Originally posted by @Amy Raye Rogers:

@Tanner Sherman I'm getting $550 for 3 years plus $850 set up fee.  The location is right by the major military base in my area.  It is very prominent, but since it's considered a rural location the cost is less than half of what it would be in town.  I've done some polling of military members and more than half respondents were able to tell me what the current featured advertiser is at that location.  Also, there are no other visual distractions nearby.  I noticed in town, that the concentration of advertising is overwhelming. I think this spot's an opportunity. I'm going to go for it!

@Sam Romain I know you're right. I'm going to start with this one and add on more locations along the same path.  When driving into Minneapolis, I noticed Kris Lindahl had dozens of billboards on the interstate I was traveling on. It caught my attention!

That's not bad at all! I might have to look into that... 

Yes Kris Lindahl might as well own every billboard and TV ad in Minneapolis. You can't live in MN without hearing his name at least 3 times per day. 

Top Tier Pro Team at DVG Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied Feb 5 2022, 13:08

@Tanner Sherman the thing to know about billboards is what @Amy Raye Rogers is doing is a whole different universe of marketing via billboards than what "billboard marketing" is. Amy is operating at an EXTREMLY high level of competency, strategy and to just call a duck a duck, intelligence. 

What Amy is doing is not "Billboard Marketing", is FOCUSED Strategic Geo-Marketing VIA a billboard. She has done advanced level market research including polling for engagement and retention of medium placement (seriously, epic kudos on that!). 

What any honest marketing firm or broker will tell you is Billboard Marketing is NOT for lead generation, it is for BRANDING Marketing. As someone who has personally had conversations with KL I can tell you, 1st hand knowledge, that is exactly what KL use billboards for, BRANDING. It's about burning a company name, image, values into a persons brain and that take repetition of message, hence the bajillion KL billboards ALL of which are the same branded message, over n over n over n over until it haunts a person in there sleep. 

The #1 thing agents gone wrong with is getting a billboard, A as in singular, and think it's going to drive leads, it's not, not nearly enough to cover costs. UNLESS it's a part of a strategic system, like what Amy is clearly doing. 

Billboards are for Branding, remember that. B-B, C-C, CONTACT is to drive CLIENTS. If looking for a direct means to drive leads, which really you want CLIENTS not leads right, that requires CONTACT. Ask yourself HOW do I get more contact going? In devising that system a billboard may at some time become a piece of the system, but as a stand alone, it will fail every time. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied Feb 5 2022, 13:14
Originally posted by @Amy Raye Rogers:

Amy, I am impressed, very VERY impressed. In just 1 paragraph it was clearly conveyed a level of not only marketing mastery but also comprehension at a level that few, so very few ever achieve. Someone walks into my door says "I'm here to take over as team GM" I'd laugh and say "no kidding", and than they say that, I'd hire them on the spot! 

You know what your doing and are going to achieve great things if your service is anywhere near as good as your marketing prowess. 

My suggestion, although I am betting this is already in action, is use of the billboard in conjunction with other actions. Having a great central CRM system, rapid call answer/follow-up measured in second not hours like other agents which yes, hire VA's if need be to answer those calls, it's very important to be the most responsive. I assume your thing is a lot of relocation, so it may be good to focus on network for OUTBOUND not just inbound or base area relocation alone. Find where most go to, reach out in those markets to make right network and gain a 20% referral for each outbound which would normally be 0-rev. Not to mention it add's to that reputation as being "the" Minot agent.