Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes

Looking For a Real Estate Agent Mentor in The DMV Area !

Posted May 16 2022, 09:18

I'm a new Agent and am looking for a Any Advice on getting a mentor and what the best approach would be. Thanks in advance for any feedback! 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied May 16 2022, 14:05

Attend classes in your market center...live classes are best.  If your broker is not offering, then get your association and other real estate networking events...

Great mentors I don't think are assigned...the best ones are ones you develop relationships with.....first step is meeting them.

If you have that mutual admiration...then you take it to the next step.

What can you offer them that is of value, so they return the favor?

Maybe that is door knocking around their listings.  Calling the neighborhoods around their listings.  Holding open houses after you do both of those.

Maybe that ends up taking their buyer calls, or being a part time transaction coordinator for them.

Not sure if you speak Spanish or not, but if you do, offer to take all their Spanish speaking referrals.  You both win, then they have a vested interest in helping you get up to speed so you sell better.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied May 16 2022, 14:40

I recommend local networking events. Don't walk up to someone and ask them to be your mentor; that's just awkward. Get to know people and ask about how they run their business. When you find someone whose values align with yours and who has a business model you want to emulate, that's when I'd start asking about the weak spots in their processes so you can figure out where you can jump in to provide value.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 17 2022, 18:10

Hi @Carlos Morales-Benitez, hello from the DMV! I am not a real estate agent but I would be more than happy to teach you about the lending side of the business if you would like.

Feel free to connect with me. Always happy to help!