Aaron Cooper
  • Champaign, IL
Votes |
Illinois RE Broker COMING SOON

Aaron Cooper
  • Champaign, IL
Posted May 18 2022, 23:00

Hi BP family,

I am currently studying for the Illinois’ broker exam. I have completed the course book and successfully passed each exam. I have done some overall review but there is just SO MUCH information.

Are there any suggested tips or recommendations for compartmentalizing the information to better retain everything?

I begin my 15-hour live instruction portion on June 7th and I feel so unprepared!

User Stats

Votes
Jake McVey
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied May 19 2022, 04:22
Quote from @Aaron Cooper:

Hi BP family,

I am currently studying for the Illinois’ broker exam. I have completed the course book and successfully passed each exam. I have done some overall review but there is just SO MUCH information.

Are there any suggested tips or recommendations for compartmentalizing the information to better retain everything?

I begin my 15-hour live instruction portion on June 7th and I feel so unprepared!

Definitely memorize the random numbers like sq ft in a mile, the ways you can take ownership in a home, and the types of agency.  Many of the questions are also ethical situations (or atleast they were two years ago) so knowing what's the morally right thing to do can get you through a lot of them.  Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Cooper
  • Champaign, IL
Votes |
  • Champaign, IL
Replied May 19 2022, 15:37
Quote from @Jake McVey:

Hi BP family,

Definitely memorize the random numbers like sq ft in a mile, the ways you can take ownership in a home, and the types of agency.  Many of the questions are also ethical situations (or atleast they were two years ago) so knowing what's the morally right thing to do can get you through a lot of them.  Good luck! 

Thank you for the tips Jake! I appreciate and will keep those points in mind. Have a great day! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 23 2022, 05:24

Hey @Aaron Cooper - Congrats on passing your exam.  Are you going to work up here in Chicago or stay down in Champaign?

I'd just say don't feel like you have to know everything.  The good thing about the real world is once you pass the test even if you forget something you can just look it up.

Experience is definitely the key so as soon as you can get out there and make some transactions happen that will definitely help too.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Cooper
  • Champaign, IL
Votes |
  • Champaign, IL
Replied Jun 10 2022, 14:12
Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

Hey @Aaron Cooper - Congrats on passing your exam.  Are you going to work up here in Chicago or stay down in Champaign?

I'd just say don't feel like you have to know everything.  The good thing about the real world is once you pass the test even if you forget something you can just look it up.

Experience is definitely the key so as soon as you can get out there and make some transactions happen that will definitely help too.

Hey Jonathan, sorry for such a late response! I am actually finishing up my live instruction portion of my course and plan to test in 2-3 weeks. Thanks anyway though! I plan to relocate to Chicago as it is a MUCH bigger market than Champaign! 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jun 13 2022, 08:13

No worries @Aaron Cooper!  Awesome to hear you have the test coming back up that you are going to ace.  

Chicago is definitely a much larger market than Champaign.  I felt the same way as you when I was getting started.....I needed to be where the big-time action (& money) was.  I've been so happy with my decision to move into the city.  That allowed me to immerse myself in the Chicago real estate market/industry which has been an absolute game changer and dramatically changed my life's trajectory.  

Feel free to reach out when you get here and I'd be happy to connect.  Good luck with your exam!

User Stats

Votes
Edgar Barbosa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL.
Replied Jun 13 2022, 09:56

Hi BP family,

@Aaron Cooper congratulations on jumping in! I'm from Chicago and recently obtained my license as well. My experience with the studying and exams was pretty simple and quick. Do not overthink the questions. Like @Jake McVey mentioned, types of agency was on multiple questions, real estate math is on there (they provide conversion chart), and ways to take ownership. As long as you understand the basics and ethical practices, you'll be good. The great thing about real estate is that it is so vast! Once you're in, you could really niche down and specialize. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Cooper
  • Champaign, IL
Votes |
  • Champaign, IL
Replied Aug 3 2022, 11:28

Hey Bigger Pockets Family, I am eager to announce that I have successfully passed the Illinois Real Estate Broker's exam, and I am now eligible to apply for an Illinois' Broker's license. If you know of any brokerages in the Champaign-Urbana area that are hiring, I am looking to make new connections and begin networking with other local agents!

User Stats

Votes
Neal Fridrich
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bloomington, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bloomington, IL
Replied Aug 3 2022, 14:04

Hey Bigger Pockets Family, I am eager to announce that I have successfully passed the Illinois Real Estate Broker's exam, and I am now eligible to apply for an Illinois' Broker's license. If you know of any brokerages in the Champaign-Urbana area that are hiring, I am looking to make new connections and begin networking with other local agents!

Congrats on getting your license! Just keep in mind when finding a brokerage that you are the one interviewing them. Any brokerage would be more than happy to hire a new licensee because you are paid solely on commission and not salary. Take your time, interview several managing brokers, and find the best fit for you as a growing agent.