User Stats

Votes
Rasheed Ward
Votes |
Becoming a Real Estate Agent in Illinois

Rasheed Ward
Posted Dec 30 2022, 10:10

Happy New Year! 

I am looking to become a real estate agent in Illinois and just wanted to see if there are any recommended courses that current agents have used before or what are some of the best ones out there. Also, if there are any opportunities to shadow any local agents. 

Looking forward to you all responds. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Dec 30 2022, 14:05

A few ideas...one is to look at your state licensing authority and see if they have a list of schools and pass rates.  I know we have that in Texas.  That's maybe not an end all be all of decision makers, but maybe that helps you filter some.   So for example Texas Real Estate Commission might list School A 90% pass rate, School B 80% pass rate, School C 50% pass rate.

Many people on these forums recommend CE Shop and Aceable Agent....so might look there and see if they offer classes for IL.

One thing also to think about is if you want to go in person or do it online.   I like the in person classes, but some people like the flexibility of online or self paced.   If you do it from home, one thing I suggest is not taking too long to complete the courses....maybe 2-3 months max.  You have to remember what you learned to pass the state exam so for some people like me if you take a year to complete it, harder to remember what you learned day 1.

Some companies also have a time limit like 6 months.  Get motivated and get it done.

Best wishes and good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 30 2022, 14:48

@Bruce Lynn provided some great insights. I would add that your current circumstances should dictate which school you attend.

I’m active duty Air Force and I went with a school that was 100% online. I also took leave every Thursday and Friday for 1.5 months to finish faster. 

The school I went with allowed downloads of their materials and I was able to listen to them in my car. That made the difference. 
Find what works best for you and your situation.

I would recommend you wait to shadow local agents. Just focus on the test and start interviewing brokerages as you get closer to completing your course requirements prior to your state and national exams. Your future brokerage should have a mentoring/training program to start you off. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Rebecca Maas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicagoland Area
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicagoland Area
Replied Dec 30 2022, 20:17

Hey @Rasheed Ward,

I used the online self paced Real Estate Express and was pretty happy with them. The content was easy to understand and everything was explained well. However, I think it also depends on how you learn- Real Estate Express was completely text based, absolutely no videos. So if that's your thing then maybe check them out!

Good luck with everything and feel free to reach out with any questions!

User Stats

Votes
Timir Shah
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 25 2023, 16:24
Quote from @Rasheed Ward:

Happy New Year! 

I am looking to become a real estate agent in Illinois and just wanted to see if there are any recommended courses that current agents have used before or what are some of the best ones out there. Also, if there are any opportunities to shadow any local agents. 

HI @Rasheed Ward,

I took my coursework at the Illinois School of Real Estate. The courses are online and self-paced and if you have questions there is a contact number for the professor to be reached. Let's connect, I would love to chat and help guide you. 

Timir Shah

Coldwell Banker Realty

User Stats

Votes
Blake B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 27 2023, 10:29

I went with McKissock's Online Courses. I believe they give you 12 months to complete the courses and once complete you have access in perpetuity.

I'd recommend networking with other real estate professionals while you are studying. If you'd like to know about upcoming events, I can send you the information!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Feb 28 2023, 06:03

Hey @Rasheed Ward - If you want a teacher lead class, my friend has a great business that would be a perfect fit.  It was only $399 and my girlfriend is halfway through.

If you reach out I can make an email intro.  Otherwise, I think the course is called inspire real estate or something along those lines.  If you are in Chicago and even thinking about getting into real estate investing, I always recommend getting your license so great work, Rasheed!

User Stats

Votes
Rasheed Ward
Votes |
Replied Feb 28 2023, 10:53

Hi Everyone, 

I truly appreciate the information and responses. The support and sharing of information/experience is worth the $39.99 a month 😂. Seriously, this has been great.

I recently came across a scholarship opportunity with Keller Williams Infinity and their Keller Successful Career Opportunities in Real Estate  (KSCORE) program through Kaplan. So, I’m in the process of completing some pre-approval requirements and should be starting the course later in March. 

As @Blake B. mention, I very much interested in any upcoming real estate meetup or networking opportunities. If you have any or want to connect shoot me a DM. 

Again, appreciate the responses.

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Mar 1 2023, 15:18
Quote from @Rasheed Ward:

Happy New Year! 

I recommend the CE Shop: https://www.theceshop.com/illi...

The Smith Group Logo