Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Real estate exam

Lili Kagels
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Feb 1 2023, 14:59

I've just finished my real estate courses and my next step is to take the CA exam. Does anyone have any tips or advice?? I've been using youtube and my course books to study so far. I just want to make sure I ace it on the first go!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Homs
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied Feb 1 2023, 15:12

@Lili Kagels make sure that you are passing all your exams by 90% or more.  Take a crash course before you take the state exam.

Good Investing..

User Stats

Votes
Preston Dean#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Feb 2 2023, 07:42
Quote from @Lili Kagels:

I've just finished my real estate courses and my next step is to take the CA exam. Does anyone have any tips or advice?? I've been using youtube and my course books to study so far. I just want to make sure I ace it on the first go!

Congrats!! something I did that was very helpful was I voice recorded myself reading questions and answers from note cards and then for 2 solids weeks before my exam I would just listen to those voice recordings instead of listing to music or anything else. It helped me retain info so much better!!
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Craig Fillion
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh NC & Triangle Area
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh NC & Triangle Area
Replied Feb 2 2023, 08:03

Understanding the vocab is probably 50% of the work because knowing what the questions are asking makes an educated guess so much better. 

Not sure if you did in person or online but if you did a self-pace online version there are usually a study guide or syllabus that goes along with the class. I found that the study guide delivers all the information you should have learned through the course which will show up on the exam. (This passed me some of my exams) 

YouTube is a huge resource. Through passing my Pre-licensing I discovered an AMAZING class instructor in my city that uploaded a semesters worth of classes onto YouTube which I NEEDED to pass my pre-licensing exam.

I found on some true or false questions through post licensing there was usually TWO TRUE answers; however, you have to read the question again because one of the answers is not relevant to the question they asked.

Other than that, if you can meet up with others that are taking the course you can always work together to learn the content. If you have the time usually classes suggest you get a book to go along with the course and if you have that book, reviewing and reading through it will not only help with the test but also the knowledge will be so helpful later on.  

Best of luck. Also, if you don't pass, don't get discouraged. Most successful people got to where they are because failing wasn't an option. You don't fail unless you quit! 

User Stats

Votes
Lili Kagels
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 2 2023, 14:17

@Joe Homs Thank you! I will definitely be taking a few crash courses! 

User Stats

Votes
Lili Kagels
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 2 2023, 14:19

@Preston Dean  I don't think I would've ever thought of that. I think this will help me a lot! Thank you!!

User Stats

Votes
Lili Kagels
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 2 2023, 14:22

@Craig Fillion Thank you so much! I've been reading a page of a real estate dictionary every night to help retain vocab. I appreciate the help!

User Stats

Votes
Ezra Henderson
Pro Member
  • Wadsworth, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wadsworth, OH
Replied Feb 2 2023, 14:55

I really didn’t study at. Just took the test right after the classes were over. My scores were right around 95. If you have any background experience at all in real estate you should be fine.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Feb 2 2023, 23:15

You are probably smart enough that you do not need it, but I recommend to everyone to take a live prep class if they can, or take one online thru someplace like CE Shop.   You only want to take the test once.

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Haworth
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Emerald Coast
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Emerald Coast
Replied Feb 3 2023, 17:16

I studied by taking prior tests and practice tests over and over!

User Stats

Votes
Lili Kagels
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 3 2023, 23:18

@Ezra Henderson That's awesome! I might be overthinking this then, thanks for the feedback!

User Stats

Votes
Lili Kagels
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 3 2023, 23:19

@Bruce Lynn Thanks Bruce, I'll try that out. Absolutely I hope to be one and done.

User Stats

Votes
Lili Kagels
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 3 2023, 23:20

@Melissa Haworth Thank you, I've taken a couple and am planning on taking a few more just to be sure!

User Stats

Votes
Preston Dean#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Feb 6 2023, 07:53
Quote from @Lili Kagels:

@Preston Dean  I don't think I would've ever thought of that. I think this will help me a lot! Thank you!!

YES!! best of luck and hope that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Jared Trindade
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Feb 6 2023, 08:29
Quote from @Lili Kagels:

Good luck!!

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Simpson
Lender
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 7 2023, 03:39

Depends on how you learn?  Some love the crash course and can pass the test doing that.  I personally take the practice test over and over for a few weeks and that worked for me.  My brain does NOT work with the crash course.  Take the test on a Tuesday, study really hard over the weekend, take Monday off and then go pass that test :)