Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Michael Furey
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Savannah
Votes |
How much commission should I offer on a flip?

Michael Furey
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Savannah
Posted Feb 3 2023, 04:55

I have a house I’m flipping and recently got my real estate license to list my properties myself. I know the standard commission is 3% for each side, but do people in this situation usually offer the buyers agent a smaller amount, like 2% or some other amount?  Is that acceptable?  What do you guys all do?

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Feb 3 2023, 05:23

You should offer out the same as what the other houses in the area are offering. Offering lower, then you are putting yourself at a disadvantage to your competition.

Generally the only time to offer higher than the competition is if you have a property that isn't moving.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Feb 3 2023, 05:53
Quote from @Michael Furey:

I have a house I’m flipping and recently got my real estate license to list my properties myself. I know the standard commission is 3% for each side, but do people in this situation usually offer the buyers agent a smaller amount, like 2% or some other amount?  Is that acceptable?  What do you guys all do?

Why should a realtor work for less then the norm? 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 3 2023, 05:54

You can offer whatever you want, just not $0. You should be competitive, agents look at what they are making and make skip your property because of the commission split. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Feb 3 2023, 07:08

You should offer the industry standard. Why would a house flipper get a discounted rate compared to any other seller in the market?

Industry standard around here is 6%. That means the buyer agent gets 3%, and the seller agent gets 3%.

I have some agents who have offered to list flip deals for me at 2% or 2.5% IF they represented me when I bought the deal. I never ask for a discount. But I'll take one if it's offered.

User Stats

Votes
Shiela R.
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Feb 5 2023, 13:01

I certainly don't do this but I know many agents who set searches in the MLS by minimum commission paid. Just be aware that offering less than the local market commission will discourage showings from the professionals who have the qualified buyers.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Feb 5 2023, 13:44

Do the same as you normally would. Often the split is not 50:50 because the listing agent has more costs.

User Stats

Votes
Dwayne Byrd
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Palm Bay, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Palm Bay, FL
Replied Feb 6 2023, 07:32

I don't, but some agents filter properties they are going to show by selling commission. I just told someone this past week who was offering 2 percent, that their 330k house would net them a ton more response if they at least went to 2.5 percent as a minimum. 2 percent listing sometimes get looked at as being "cheap" and the person could have potentially cut other corners. In his instance 1650 would net him a ton more showings ect.