Agent Niche & Questions

6 Replies

1. Can agents submit bids for themselves to purchase REO homes such as HomePath and HUD? I believe that I heard that if you are registered to place bids on these sites you can't buy them yourself.

2. I was listening to Mark Fergueson's podcast about specializing in REO and short sales. How does an agent go about start to make this their niche?*

About number 2? Are you talking listing REO and short sales?

I think you are restricted as to listing properties. I think with HUD, you couldn't bid on it if you were listing it. I can't get the @ function to work, but Mark Ferguson would be a good person to ask about this.

Originally posted by @Joe Conklin:

1. Can agents submit bids for themselves to purchase REO homes such as HomePath and HUD? I believe that I heard that if you are registered to place bids on these sites you can't buy them yourself.

2. I was listening to Mark Fergueson's podcast about specializing in REO and short sales. How does an agent go about start to make this their niche?*

1. Yes agents can submit bids on those houses if you are just registered on their sites, but not listing them. As a hudietary listing agent I cannot buy any huf homes at all. I can't buy any of my own rep listing from any bank. If I was not the listing agent I could buy most other ones that are not hud. 

2. Lots of hard work and dedication. Start with completing bpps. I also have a few articles on my site about it. 

thanks for the feedback, that clears things up

@Mark Ferguson, a couple of questions related to question #2. Would a person who wanted to get started on REO listing still need to travel to conferences to network asset managers to get started like I've heard was happening a couple of years ago? And do you still front a lot of money for a properties expenses (like utility bills). I worked as a buyers agent for a foreclosure team, and the Realtor had a person who's job description was to track expenses and make sure the realtor was paid back from the asset managers.

Originally posted by @JOAN DICKIE :

@Mark Ferguson, a couple of questions related to question #2. Would a person who wanted to get started on REO listing still need to travel to conferences to network asset managers to get started like I've heard was happening a couple of years ago? And do you still front a lot of money for a properties expenses (like utility bills). I worked as a buyers agent for a foreclosure team, and the Realtor had a person who's job description was to track expenses and make sure the realtor was paid back from the asset managers.

Yes and yes. I still go to a fee conferences a year and we have to front money for many banks. Some banks have their own crews and pay them. Others don't. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.