• Midlothian, VA
Votes |
Looking for bookkeeping tips

David Lucas
  • Accountant
  • Midlothian, VA
Posted Jan 3 2016, 18:53

Hi everyone,

I received a job as an Accountant for a small rental property management company in Richmond, VA. I was invited to interview even though I have no accounting background, and was ultimately given the position because of that. My supervisor feels that it's too simple a process to get someone with an accounting degree, but I know there is more I should know.

We currently use Buildium AppFolio for the Rental Properties (Escrow and Security Deposit Accounts) and use Quicken for the general operating account for the company. Where should I start in terms of taking this over and being able to own it? I have some knowledge of Quicken, but not when it comes to determining what categories should be connected to Schedule A, etc. I've also become very familiar with Appfolio and its accounting processes, but I'm not sure how to tie it all together and see the big idea.

Further, the company has been using categories in quicken incorrectly, or rather, inefficiently. What categories are you all using that I might be able to culminate into our list so that it's effective and efficient?

Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...