• Rochester, NY
Votes |
lying agents

Mark Updegraff
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Posted Jun 24 2010, 13:58

Anyone ever run across an agent that outright lied to you? Is there some recourse or place to submit a formal complaint? I know the BBB might be a good place to start, but am wondering if there is somewhere else I should report it.
the details:
I called my agent to schedule a showing of a property with some fire damage. I got to the property before my agent, and so was checking the exterior stuff while waiting. In the mean time a truck rolled into the driveway equipped with re-hab tools and two workers (covered in white paint). Then another man (button down) approached me from another car and asked me what I'm doing. I said "I'm here to see the property, and am waiting for my agent." His response was that he had bought the property and signed the papers yesterday. I responded saying that I thought it was weird that my agent would schedule this with the selling agent if it was already under contract. I left and waited up the street for my agent. I told him on the phone what happened and he called back the other agent asking what the deal is. She told my agent that there were no other offers on the home, and that she had no idea who was at the house attempting to keep us out (and start rehabbing it before closing). We looked at the place and there was fresh (wet) paint everywhere (and a VERY poor job at that). We put an offer in and it was countered today, however she admitted that there was in fact another offer (the weird guy I believe) and it was higher. My agent asked her to put the counter in writing. That is where we are now.

OK, I've had serious suspicions about unethical agents in the past. But nothing like this, where I've been blatantly lied to.

In your opinion(s), how ethical is the average agent?
Is there any recourse for the buyers / sellers when an agent does lie or act unethical?

And how about the guy that is renovating it while it is still on the MLS? I'm almost positive he has no affiliation with the owner.

Very upset, and probably going to walk away from the deal on principle.

Let me know what you think about this situation, I'm perplexed, and I can kinda run through a few different scenarios to try to make sense of it all

Thanks!
Mark

Loading replies...