California Real Estate License Need College Courses?

4 Replies

Hi Agents,

I am looking to start the journey to my license but I am now reading on the California government real estate site that i need to take college courses. I do not mind so much except this takes time.

In the additional information excerpt there is this section reading

"Courses must be three semester-units or four quarter-units at the college level. Courses must be completed at an institution of higher learning accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or by a comparable regional accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, or by a private real estate school which has had its courses approved by the California Real Estate Commissioner. Each course approved by the Bureau of Real Estate is a minimum of 45 hours in length."

Does this mean I can use a private real estate school to avoid the lengthy college courses and just finish these private courses at my own pace anytime I want? 

Thank you,


As @Mark Pedroza suggested, I used Allied Real Estate School and just completed the required courses online. Its great because you can go at your own speed and they give you the certificates you need to prove completion to take the State exam. I highly recommend them. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here