Real Estate Agent - NEW TO COACHING QUESTION

7 Replies

So basically my question is:

Is having a real estate coach from Canada a good idea?

I just signed up for Tom Ferry's system since they're the best and I just went from being a buyer's agent in a team to an independent agent and will need the accountability/training to succeed. Being new to coaching I think this is a genuine concern for me since it's a large investment monthly. He is an investor and owns properties in Florida and says he's familiar with the US market. Has anyone been in this situation or known someone who has been in this situation that can help with some tips? Should I switch?

Their coaches are trained to hold you accountable in any market and the general strategies won't change much between the U.S. and Canada and really anywhere. I would give him a chance and not worry about where he is, what his background is, and how much he has sold because as long as he can get you moving ahead on your own, you won't care about any of that later. If you find it's not working out, they will definitely reassign you. Think about NBA coaches who never played. They can still be great coaches although many would think they couldn't.

@Joshue Merizalde Depending upon the type of coaching you want, it could matter where the coach lives.  If you are looking for more mentorship then I would look for someone either local to where you live or someone who lives where you want to invest so that they can show you how to do things.  

If you are looking for a coach, someone who is ahead of you in investing to give you some guidance and direction to meet your goals and then hold you accountable to meeting those goals, then it probably doesn't matter where they live.  Coaches can probably do that from anywhere.

In my opinion, mentors show you while coaches encourage you and keep you accountable.

I have heard good things about this person.. 

My wife used to be a trainer for Floyd Wickman she trained hundreds of agents over the years how to get to the next level.

there are very specific sales techniques that work for real estate learning them and using them is critical to making the bigger dollars in the industry.

Myself I grew up in it and I learned at the weekly meetings with 20 and 30 year veterans and we would just round table scenarios and the things I learned on objection handling and how to set a client up to be closed was the key to my success in my early days of working at the street level. 

School of hard knocks. 16 years in the business. If you have limited money most all info is out there somewhere for free or a very small price. The trainers just package it and put it in a nice bow in a easy format for people to digest and follow.

People want a pretty package to buy on how to succeed and then get discouraged when they learn they still have to do the work.

Some are self starters and trail blazers. I have colleagues I talk to in the business 30,40,50 years that I bounce ideas off of and we learn from each other but not a coach per se. Lot of that stuff is a money grab from these trainers. That is how they make their revenue.

Really what is your vision for your happy life? I would take 1 million a year commission making it my way with how I want to live my life then 1,400,000 and be miserable not living how I want for time allocation between my health, my family, friends, business, etc. People think people with money are successful. I would counter that with are they making money and happy living the life they want? That is a more definition of success at life to me. Money is just one spoke on a wheel.

Wow I got more than I expected, thanks a million! I'll give this coach a shot. For where I am, I need the accountability and have found that almost all of the successful people that I meet have someone holding them accountable that they can take serious. Very helpful distinction between a coach and a mentor. Everything y'all typed really made me think. Greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by @Joshue Merizalde :

Wow I got more than I expected, thanks a million! I'll give this coach a shot. For where I am, I need the accountability and have found that almost all of the successful people that I meet have someone holding them accountable that they can take serious. Very helpful distinction between a coach and a mentor. Everything y'all typed really made me think. Greatly appreciated.

This is just my opinion and based on a bit more experience and knowledge that I already have. 

I used to use Mike Ferry over 7 years ago and was very helpful in terms of accountability and goal setting. Their approach to lead generation is old skool cold calling and door knocking which is not for everyone. Their scripts in general are definitely helpful. So overall it wasn't for me. I think its for seasoned agents who want to keep up with what they already have and grow a bit more as they need accountability. 

If you want to spend money on growing your business I suggest you try some online lead generation companies. For me that is better money spent. You can form a group at your brokerage who can hold each other accountable.