• San Antonio, TX
Votes |
New Real Estate Agent

Willie Cedillo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Dec 9 2019, 15:09

Hi Everyone,

I am waiting on TREC to let me know I am goo to take my Real Estate Exam so I can become licensed. There's a few things I have on my mind and I just thought I'd put it out there. I am looking around for the best brokers to sign up with and the two I've landed on is Keller Williams and eXp. Keller Williams has helped me every time I have purchased a home or a piece of land and it was so seamless I couldn't thank the team that helped me enough. I looked up the splits and they look good to me from the outside as well. On the other hand eXp looks like a real nice up and comer and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I am looking to transition this to my full time job and am also prepared to transition into an investor using the BRRRR method. Any advice with some personal experience with either of those brokers or any other broker for that matter will be extremely appreciated.

The other thing on my mind is that I currently live in Houston but will eventually move back to San Antonio Texas. I don't know exactly when but It will happen at some point so does anyone have any advice for transitioning from one city to another? Anything I should look out for? Would I keep my same funnel?

Any advice would be helpful thanks to whoever took the time to read this. 

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Cameron
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Replied Dec 9 2019, 15:41

@Willie Cedillo, like Aaron said, congrats on getting close to the exam!  Both options are good ones.  I joined eXp for the flexibility to do sales part time and potentially transition to it on my own terms.  I needed training and support outside of normal work hours.  

With either option, you might strongly consider joining an agent team where you can basically trade some of your commission split for leads.  That way you can worry less about a funnel until you move to SAT.  

Both cities have a very large eXp presence and it would be easy to find teams in both (I personally know multiple team leads across Texas).  

If you have the daytime hours, it will be hard to beat the training KW can provide.  But if you are self-driven or can't do the daytime hours, another option may serve you better - the CEO was a top KW agent, so many best practices he brought with.  Even if you don't join a team (totally optional), you'll be assigned a local mentor with eXp.  

You also wouldn't have to worry about transitioning from one broker to the next with eXp.  It's all one state broker.  

Good luck on the exam!  Hope you find what you're looking for!  

User Stats

Votes
Willie Cedillo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 9 2019, 18:24
Originally posted by @Aaron Belt:

Hi, @Willie Cedillo 1st congrats on getting this close on getting your License, Goodluck to on your exam! Study every single day until then. I would definitely Interview each brokerage and ask any questions that you may have! and then do a pro's and cons of each and decide after that! I also think the move will affect your funnel unless because its a pretty big distance.  

Thanks Aaron and yeah I'm trying to find a balance between studying the real estate books and looking into deals to become a legit investor! For now I'll get my license first. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Willie Cedillo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 9 2019, 18:29

@Charlie Cameron Thank you for your response! My final decision is going to depend on the time I can put in from the beginning. Your response helped me in different ways but with the idea of time the most. 

User Stats

Votes
Effram Barrett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 11 2019, 08:47

We're in a similar boat. I just took the test Saturday and passed so my license is currently inactive until i find a brokerage. I'm wanting to transition from my 9-5 to full time RE. I'm curious to see how the process works for you. Good luck on the test and let me know if you have any questions

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Ozanick
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Replied Dec 11 2019, 12:01

I highly recommend EXIT Realty. I work as an EXIT Agent in Wisconsin and the company is phenomenal. First, it is the only company which offers referral fees essentially to agents for bringing in new agents. These residuals are paid even after you are no longer an agent. You can recruit as many agents as you would like and the residuals keep growing. The technology and support nationwide is also top of the line. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied Dec 11 2019, 17:28

@Calvin Ozanick

The only company?? EXP does the same and I've heard Keller Williams has similar profit sharing referral system.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Dec 12 2019, 04:40

@Patrick J. you are correct. KW has a profit share model - if you sponser a new agent, your profit share increases. Great retirement and passive income strategy. And no, the money does not come from other agents (your downline) it comes from the brokerage.

KW has announced 3 years ago that they will transition into a tech company that happens to be in real estate - and they have taken that very literally and invested huge amounts in AI and tech. Being the largest brokerage and the only one that is not drowning in debt, they have the means to do so. My business is already on the new system. The impact of this is mind blowing.

The proof is in the numbers. We have a lot of young agents in my office, but even so we have the highest revenue per agent in our metro area, which is a testimony to the training and tech.

User Stats

Votes
Sharnell Nelms
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 12 2019, 06:45

@Willie Cedillo I am with Keller Williams Realty Professionals in the Houston area. I am wanting to do my first deal on the investor side. I love working with clients but I will LOVE being my own client. Blessings on your upcoming exam!

User Stats

Votes
Willie Cedillo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 16 2019, 06:11

@Sharnell Nelms Thank you much!

User Stats

Votes
Corina Eufinger
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Votes |
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Replied Dec 16 2019, 06:28

I would recommend KW.  I had looked at setting up with EXP when I got licensed but I didn't like the feel I got from the few agents I met in person associated with them. Most of them were more interested in building their down line of agents beneath them than actively selling real estate.  I wish I still had it on my computer but I had downloaded the EXP policy manual which I found very eye opening.  If you can get your hands on that give it a read.

I know a lot of agents with KW right now.  A friend of mine started his own brokerage with KW after extensive research about 5 years back.  He has nothing but positive things to say about the culture and education support that KW gives. (I think it also speaks volumes at KW just stole Berkshire Hathaway's #1 agent in the country.)

Good luck with your venture!

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Cameron
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Replied Dec 16 2019, 08:42

@Corina Eufinger I think it is entirely dependent on the situation. If you want to be in an office and hands on, especially as a brand new agent, brick and mortar may be the way to go. KW has fantastic training that unfortunately as a part time agent wasn’t flexible enough for me. But even so, I know agents that are fed up with getting no support from their brokerage. It can happen anywhere with any broker.

From what I’ve seen, the value of eXp makes sense for 4 groups:

- Established agents with a brand that know how to lead generate

- Brokers wanting to shes liability, expenses, gain tools and training, and maintain the team/split structure with the same branding

- New agents when they are matched up with a great local mentor and/or team

- Agents needing part time flexibility

Regardless, you do have to have self-determination and hustle to succeed with eXp.

User Stats

Votes
Corina Eufinger
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Votes |
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Replied Dec 16 2019, 14:50

@Charlie Cameron absolutely, agree 100%.