Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Hannah Costello
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greater Philadelphia Area
Votes |
Administrative assistant before becoming an agent?

Hannah Costello
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greater Philadelphia Area
Posted Jul 17 2020, 15:05

I have a two topics I could use some advice on: 

1) I will be taking my real estate exam in August and have made a connection with a broker to sell under them once I pass. I reached out to them because they seem like a great team and are in a wealthy area. My hope was to learn from a good team that is experienced in selling more expensive homes. The area is 30 mins from me, but I would be willing to move there. They told me they want me on their team, but are giving me a 3 month probationary period. They want me to sell one house within those 3 months. I spoke to a successful real estate agent I know and she said she has never heard of that and also thinks that it might be hard for me to start selling houses in a wealthier (she thinks stuck up) area. She advised that I meet with 3 other brokers before I sign, which I will do. But I wanted to get more opinions on this.

2) This same broker recently asked me if I would be interested in filling their administrative assistant position which is salaried, and they say it could be a good way to learn the real estate agent role from the inside out. However, I started a cleaning business and it is doing really well. My goal is to have this constant income coming in from the cleaning and then have my real estate on top of that. 

But I also think it could be good to get experience from the inside out, especially from a knowledgeable team. I am just worried I would get stuck in this position longer than I want when I could be spending time growing my cleaning and real estate business. I also am becoming an agent to work for myself and feel like this would be going against my goals especially when the cleaning is going so well. 

One more thing is that I want to get an investment property but do not have the 2 years yet for self employment to qualify for a mortgage, this salaried position could help. But I was thinking I could get started with being an agent, network, learn, and find other ways to finance instead of a traditional mortgage. 

Sorry this was a lot! Please give me any thoughts/advice you may have.

Thank you!

Loading replies...