Real estate agent attire

14 Replies

Hi Edgar,

If you go to JC Penny and get a dark blue sport coat (with gold or silver buttons) with some light grey pants and a light blue shirt with buttons on the collar you can fit in pretty well in most places. 

Have the store tailor the pants and coat to fit you.

If you want to be more formal get a burgundy colored tie.

In the summertime, swap the light grey pants for tan pants. 

Just my 2 cents.

Hi @Edgar Gonzalez

That depends on your audience. I walk land in boots and jeans all the time. I have several clients who I can show up in flip flops and shorts (Granted usually a "Head to this one now!" type property). I crawl around HUD houses and foreclosures in Jeans and long sleeve shirts because some can get pretty nasty. Now if it is a high end house with a fair amount of lead time and I am doing a presentation then I can go tailored suit. Well until Corona, now it is a bit of a "What sort of fits and still looks professional".

It really depends on your market. I know some agents that will be in a 3 piece suit every day. They also don't do a ton of foreclosures and rec land purchases.

Always meet your customers where they need to be met.  I always try to dress in a professional manner since you never get a chance to make a first impression.  Typically dress pants, long sleeve button up **** and nice shoes.  In the summer maybe a nice polo/golf shirt.  Depending on the client I will wear a sport coat but it's rare.

Again, your market, customer base, season will typically decide your attire.  No matter what, always try to be professional. 

Im a jeans and tshirt kind of guy Im a successful agent.

in part it depends on your client base....but honestly if you are supremely confident and successful, you can dress however you want, like I do. 

I'm pretty casual but so's my market. My governor is typically wearing jeans and cowboy boots, as do doctors and attorneys. Look at the successful agents in your area and try to match them, as able.

I lost 40 pounds last year and needed to shop. I also decided to step up my game a little with nicer shoes and shirts, more khakis than jeans, and fitted shirts. I also bought my first suit in 30+ years. I went to Kohl's and bought a nice matching jacket and pants that are well fitted, five dress shirts, a tie, five pairs of pants, a pair of dress shoes, a pair of dress boots, and a pair of nice tennis shoes for $500. It was during a sale and I signed up for their card to get an additional 30% off, or something like that. It was ridiculous the amount of clothing I got for that price and it was all quality stuff. I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

I'm still pretty casual in the summer because I spend more time outside dealing with sprinklers, inspecting homes, squeezing into crawl spaces, etc. My intent is to dress nicer when meeting clients for scheduled appointments and the suit is for Christmas parties, business socials, etc., when I want to look nicer for people outside my circle.

I also bought a set of Anson belts. I got three belts and two buckles for $99. They are slide adjustable so they always fit perfect and you don't see wear on the holes like a traditional belt. I've been wearing it daily since January and they look brand new.

Be you.....and the customers you want to attract.

If you're luxury you want suit and tie...yes some people still wear ties.

If you're resort...shorts and a bright shirt might be appropriate.

If you're farm and ranch....jeans and boots might be appropriate.

One thing I heard 20 years ago at a Brian Buffini seminar and never forgot was to not dress down for your friends when they decide to work with you. 

If you dress for them the same way you dress for anyone else (which could be suit, business casual, or jeans and boots, depending on where you work and your typical client demographic), you're sending them a message that you're treating their business as seriously as you're treating the business of people who you 'need to impress' because they don't know you yet. 

(If you dress more casually than you normally would and mention it they'll always say it makes no difference and to not worry about it, but I still think it's best to control that message and 'go the extra mile' by dressing for them the same way you'd dress for anyone else.)

Keep in mind my preferred working attire would be surf shorts and flip flops, so I totally understand any incentive to dress down. :)

I would challenge the "whatever you are comfortable in" rhetoric. Unfortunately people judge you immediately based on your appearance (whether they like to admit it or not). I think business casual (or up) is a good rule of thumb for me - but that is based on my experience of wanting to look the part. I would hate to be nixed from the conversation of someone hiring me because I showed up to an appointment "too casual".

Once you know a client though, all

@Edgar Gonzalez As you can see, there are a lot of differing opinions.  My take on it is that it depends entirely on your market.

When I was practicing in Massachusetts, it was business casual unless I was going into abandoned foreclosures with a rehabber.  In that case it was jeans and whatever I felt like wearing for a casual shirt.

Now I'm in Maine.  If I had a lead in or around Portland (our version of a big city), those same rules would apply.  But here in central Maine, it's very casual.  If I showed up in a 3-piece suit, I'd look as out of place as a gang banger in a convent.

It comes down to knowing your audience.

@Edgar Gonzalez there is an old saying in sales of "fake it till you make it", I think that should be a pre statement to "dress for success". 

Myself personally, I am an "old dog" in the RE game, I have decades of experience behind me, licenses and certificates up the ying-yang, and clients work with me for all of that, what I have in my mind, I don't think most care what I dress in at this point short of showing up in sumo attire. BUT that's me, I don't need to fake anything anymore, I can talk the talk. 

In summary, it's your market, your style, and where your at as a professional that will dictate. 

I'll come at this from the perspective of a client: I don't care as long as you know your stuff.

That being said I am not the type of client that is buying my family a SFH. The two realtors on my team are both good at anticipating the questions that I ask of every selling agent, are well organized, and are good at making my process faster and easier. There method of dress is business comfortable with shoes meant for tiny attic stairs :)

Wear what ever you're comfortable with. We mostly do Multi-families and I like to get hands on when inspecting the dirt basements that we get here in MA. I'll wear a polo, shorts, and sneakers in the summer and then jeans and sweater or a jacket in the winter. I find if I wear what I'm comfortable wearing its a much more organic relationship but everyone is different.