Real Estate Agents that Invest

84 Replies

Looking to connect with other Real Estate Agents who invest in Real Estate. 

My husband and I currently own a duplex that have long term renters and we are looking to build our investment portfolio. We've been doing some research in a town about 3 hours from us. (Cash flow is higher and properties are cheaper.) Do any of you have investments that aren't in your hometown? If so, do you feel they are more difficult to manage?

I also am in need of Agents that are familiar with investing to send some referrals to. Majority of my clients are investors and are looking in Montana, Colorado, Idaho and Washington. I'm sure as you know it can be difficult to find another agent who is familiar with investing and can get the clients in touch with the right people. 

@Kendal Lamb Yes, we invest locally and out of state. Our first property purchase is about a 45 minute drive. We self manage it. The only time it becomes difficult is during vacancies and getting the units rent-ready. We have cut way down on any showings using Covid as an excuse to only do showings after we have a qualified applicant. Saves us time and efforts to show it to someone who may not be qualified anyway. I've used that even with local properties I manage to not waste my time. We have helped many out of state investors buy property here. The only difficulty now is that there is little inventory available and prices are higher with a lot more competition.

@Don Spafford

That's good to hear! We manage our own property as well! My husband is getting his license next year, but he will mostly be focusing on Property Management, so that will make things a lot easier for us. It's nice to see other agents are investing as well! I will definitely reach out when I have a new client looking in Idaho Falls!

Hi @Kendal Lamb , I'm an agent with 4 Degrees Real Estate in Spokane and help investors (both in- and out-of-area) buy multi-family properties here. We also have our own rental properties in Spokane, Moses Lake, and Seattle. Would love to help any of your clients looking in Spokane and would be happy to return the favor with referrals! 

@Kendal Lamb hello! I’m an agent in WA. My husband and I are both licensed and got into this industry because of our interest in real estate investing. We’re flipping homes currently but definitely have it as a goal to get some investments too. I think this is a great idea to create a community of NW investor friendly agents!

@Inessa Stysis That's exactly why I got my license! (I also wasn't happy with some of the agents I had worked with prior to getting my license... and they knew nothing about investing.) It just made sense for me! I'd rather hand off referrals to fellow NW Agents that are on BiggerPockets, I guess it's just reassurance for me that I know I'm handing them off to someone who is at least familiar with investing at a minimum. 

I have had a few clients in the past that were looking for properties to flip. I've flipped 3 properties with my husband and I've gained so much knowledge about houses and things to look for. I will definitely reach out when I have a client to pass along!

Hey @Kendal Lamb , I am a commercial multifamily broker with Paragon Equity Management in Eastern WA (Tri-Cities, Spokane, etc.) and about 85% of my business is with investor clients and investment groups. I also work for a firm that invests regularly in the Tri-Cities and I invest personally myself in commercial and multifamily. Let me know if you’d like to connect and how I can help you and your clients.

Hi @Kendal Lamb ! I will throw my name in the hat as well :) I as well was initially drawn to investing, which led to becoming a Realtor here in the Olympia, WA area (Thurston County and surrounding). I own and self manage 16 doors in the area and currently all within about a 30 minute drive. I am interested in exploring longer distance investing, but its all about having people on the ground that you trust! So I'd need to make sure I had those relationships first. Always happy to connect with other like minded RE agents and happy to share leads! Cheers  

Originally posted by @Jake DeAtley :

Hi @Kendal Lamb ! I will throw my name in the hat as well :) I as well was initially drawn to investing, which led to becoming a Realtor here in the Olympia, WA area (Thurston County and surrounding). I own and self manage 16 doors in the area and currently all within about a 30 minute drive. I am interested in exploring longer distance investing, but its all about having people on the ground that you trust! So I'd need to make sure I had those relationships first. Always happy to connect with other like minded RE agents and happy to share leads! Cheers  

Hey Jake I would love to connect! I’m in olympia too, and I’m looking to begin investing with a friend of mine. If you’re open to it we would love to take you out to coffee and talk about your experience investing in and around Olympia 

@Kendal Lamb nice to see other agents that invest. “You don’t build wealth by selling real estate, you build wealth by owning.” I grew my personal portfolio to a few hundred doors before I got my license. I became frustrated with agents not understanding the investment game and that drove me to get my license. I now focus on my own deals and other investors wanting to build a portfolio that does not conflict with me. We have actually begun building a team to focus on out of state investors to ensure they have knowledgeable agents fighting in their corner and I spend time with my team training them on investing!

However, I’m in Ohio, but when you get tired of investing out there, feel free to come see us in the Midwest where cash flow is king! Good luck everyone.

@Kendal Lamb

My husband and I have been investing in real estate for 20 years mostly in Great Falls, MT. We’ve also invested in Helena and Bozeman, but Great Falls gives us the best numbers. We specialize in 2-4 unit properties. My husband is the agent and he’d be happy to help anyone looking in and around Great Falls. And happy to connect as investors also....most of my family is in the Flathead and several of them are real estate investors there.

@Kendal Lamb my wife is a realtor in Helena, MT. If your looking for a contact in Helena we would be glad to help you out. We are investors also so we can help you out in this area if you need it. Let me know if you need anything. It would be great to connect with someone that’s relatively close!

@Kendal Lamb

Hey Kendal, so as much as I would love to only invest in the area where I am an agent, the numbers simply don’t make sense where I live. I invest in two different states and if anything it’s a talking point for my clients. I still have investments where I live I just mainly focus on long-distance investing. BiggerPockets is an amazing resource for finding good quality real estate agents as well!

@Kendal Lamb Hi Kendal. I'm an agent in the Front Range of CO. I was investing for about a decade or so before I got my license and started working with other investors. I like to keep my properties within 45mins if possible, but 1 is about an hour away, which I managed for a few years and then found a good PM for. I might consider a 3 hour drive if I had a local handyman I could trust so I didn't have to drive there for every little thing. If the drive was pretty that would help, especially if there are some nice trails or something along the way. I'd love to trade referrals. I have experience in small multifamily, single family rentals, house hacking, BRRRR, and setting up my first STR now. Are you mostly working the West Glacier area? Beautiful part of the country.

Originally posted by @Kendal Lamb :

Looking to connect with other Real Estate Agents who invest in Real Estate. 

My husband and I currently own a duplex that have long term renters and we are looking to build our investment portfolio. We've been doing some research in a town about 3 hours from us. (Cash flow is higher and properties are cheaper.) Do any of you have investments that aren't in your hometown? If so, do you feel they are more difficult to manage?

I also am in need of Agents that are familiar with investing to send some referrals to. Majority of my clients are investors and are looking in Montana, Colorado, Idaho and Washington. I'm sure as you know it can be difficult to find another agent who is familiar with investing and can get the clients in touch with the right people. 

Hi Kendal, I've got 9 units here in Columbus, OH.

I currently focus on properties with in a 30 minute drive of me in columbus ohio, I have 6 units. I focus on close properties 1 because the market is strong in the urban core of columbus however I also self manage properties so everything is easier the closer the properties. I am currently looking to invest in bigger deals in the suburbs of columbus and therefore I would have PM take over and not too concerned with distance at that point.