Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Tori Roy
  • Investor
  • Newport Beach
Votes |
Does anyone know of any MLS ONLY brokers in California?

Tori Roy
  • Investor
  • Newport Beach
Posted Jan 21 2021, 13:09

Does anyone know an MLS ONLY broker in California? Something like what RE E-broker used to be. Now they're a full-service broker. I'm an Investor, not an Agent. I have a Real Estate License and I have kept it because it helps. What I need is to continue to have MLS access for due diligence purposes. However, I don't wish to pay a ton of fees - just to have MLS access last year I had to to pay CAR+NAR+Local Association+ MLS fees. Something like $1200. Would like to avoid that but still be able to access the MLS. Any suggestions? Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jon Schwartz
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 21 2021, 15:47

@Tori Roy, I can't point you to the court records, but I remember learning that anti-trust laws prevent NAR from limiting MLS access to Realtors.

I think the solution for you is a no-frills, no-desk-fee broker plus signing up for your local MLS without joining the Realtor board attached to it.

I'd suggest doing a little googling, then calling your local Realtor board and inquiring (dare I say "badgering") them about buying MLS access without joining.

Good luck!

Jon

User Stats

Votes
Tori Roy
  • Investor
  • Newport Beach
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newport Beach
Replied Jan 26 2021, 09:20

@Jon Schwartz thank you for pointing that out! That is certainly helpful. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Willy Olsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 25 2022, 10:10

I realize that this is a year later, but have you checked into services like PropStream and Property Radar? 
I had originally been using Property Radar, then switched to PropStream as I have been working in other markets outside of California, but recently PropStream lost their "Sold" comp data for some reason. The information is there for Sold comps under Public Information, but you just have to dig a little deeper and do a little extra searching to get it. As a result I've gone back to Property Radar to give them a try again. Property Radar shows to have nationwide information now. Which they didn't have when I first started using them several years ago. We'll see how it goes, and if nothing else I'll end up back with PropStream of I don't find another potential source of Listed and Sold information. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jan 25 2022, 10:16
You will typically be hard up to find a brokerage that is an MLS member but not a Realtor association member.  Every single person I know that is....is a solo independent broker, and not a salesperson. Realistically, your going to need to put in the time it takes to earn your brokers license if that is the way you want to go.
District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Willy Olsen
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 25 2022, 10:30

I realize that this is a year later, but have you checked into services like PropStream and Property Radar? 
I had originally been using Property Radar, then switched to PropStream as I have been working in other markets outside of California, but recently PropStream lost their "Sold" comp data for some reason. The information is there for Sold comps under Public Information, but you just have to dig a little deeper and do a little extra searching to get it. As a result I've gone back to Property Radar to give them a try again. Property Radar shows to have nationwide information now. Which they didn't have when I first started using them several years ago. We'll see how it goes, and if nothing else I'll end up back with PropStream of I don't find another potential source of Listed and Sold information. 
And like Jon had mentioned, you may be able to get direct access to CRMLS without having to be part of an association. You'll just have to pay whatever their annual or quarterly fee will be. With all the DOJ activity against NAR, CAR and Realtor associations over potential antitrust law violations.

User Stats

Votes
Colin C.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 16 2024, 18:17

Hi Tory, I am an MLS Only Broker in California. I can offer you a NON- NAR brokerage in California. We use PSAR- CRMLS