Is being a part time agent possible?

7 Replies

I’m currently looking into becoming a real estate agent. I’m curious if being a part time agent is actually feasible? I have a lot of extra free time in the summer with my current job but I work 50-70 hours a week in the winter. Quitting my job with out replacement income isn’t a option since we have four kiddos and I’m the sole provider. I’m Really just looking for some insight from some experienced agents. Thanks in advance!

Its definitely possible but keep in mind it takes a long time to close deals especially in this market. If your working on a deal near Fall when you get to your busy time you will do yourself and your client a major disservice. It takes time to get your license if you really have the time to put your heart and soul into it you might get licensed in a month. So you could definitely do it during the Summer but you will have to pay the fees for the full year like dues and MLS access.

@Christopher Weller Its a scary jump to work solely on commission but it is definitely a nice change of pace from the 9 to 5 once you get used to it. It takes a while working on deals and getting experience I think within a year or two you should be pretty established with listing signs in your area. You will find you run out of family and friends quickly who want to buy or sell so you will have to figure out a way to generate leads. Its alot of "pounding the pavement" in the beginning and often people don't make it past that hump. Some brokerages offer leads for free, some charge, some make you get your own and offer a higher commission split. Shop around and find a brokerage that offers you what you are looking for, and reach out to a few agents that work there. 

@Dan M.

That’s great advice I wasn’t aware that all brokerages weren’t created equally. Although it seems silly now that I think about it. Thank you so much for your time and advice. If you have anymore tips or tricks for me I’d love to hear them.