Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Danielle Shipp
  • Investor
  • Colorado
Votes |
Questions about Loan Originator License (Florida)

Danielle Shipp
  • Investor
  • Colorado
Posted Nov 1 2022, 09:04

Hello everyone, my husband is a current police officer (Army Vet) in Colorado who is interested in becoming a loan originator/officer in Florida. I am currently working on getting license as a real estate agent (sale associate license) and he would like to look further into the lending side. I was wondering if there is anyone in Florida would be okay with us emailing some questions about the process of getting licensed, picking a broker, getting some professional and personal insights? 

Thank you so much! I appreciate your time. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Nov 1 2022, 09:08
Greetings.

Hard money or conventional?

User Stats

Votes
Danielle Shipp
  • Investor
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Colorado
Replied Nov 1 2022, 09:28

He would like to start in conventional. I have been working in real estate as a marketing and communications director and he's been watching me, plus he is getting more and more into the investing side. He would like to transition his work into the real estate world- especially the mortgage side / lender side. Hope this helps. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Allen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Antonio, TX (Lender in TX and SC)
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Antonio, TX (Lender in TX and SC)
Replied Nov 2 2022, 16:58

@Danielle Shipp

Thanks to your husband for his service.  I’m an Air Force veteran and have now transitioned into a career as a loan originator.

I’m licensed in Texas and South Carolina, so I don’t have experience with the state-specific licensing requirements in Florida.  But I’m happy to answer any questions your husband may have about the career transition from military to loan originator.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 3 2022, 16:09

@Danielle Shipp- good luck to you both 

User Stats

Votes
Danielle Shipp
  • Investor
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Colorado
Replied Nov 3 2022, 16:57

@Dave Skow Thank you so much!! 

@Joel Allen Thank you for your service as well. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to my husband (who's name ironically is Justis...) Can I find your contact info in your profile details?

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Nov 3 2022, 17:07

@Danielle Shipp Many real estate schools offer the RMLO required course you take prior to the state test. I believe it is 40 hrs, I took it years ago just for the knowledge. 

User Stats

Votes
Lyndsay Zwirlein
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jan 19 2023, 06:44

So excited for you guys!! I actually just switched mortgage brokerages about 6 months so recently went through this process. I determined the things that were most important to me to best serve my clients. For me, it was licensure in as many states as possible because my investor clients are purchasing all over. Secondly, as a broker our value is finding great deals and programs for clients. I found a broker licensed in 49 states with over 70 wholesale lenders. My advice is what’s important to him, speak to a bunch of different brokerages and it’ll become clear which one will align best with his goals! Good luck!!