Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Micah Thomas
Votes |
Pulling Equity Out of Investment Property.

Micah Thomas
Posted Nov 28 2022, 15:00

Hello all, I hope Thanksgiving was fantastic for everyone. 

I am generally new to real estate investing, but I want to really get into it. That said, I own a house in Jacksonville, NC which was a primary residence. We have since moved to Woodbridge, VA, and bought another house as our primary residence. I am looking to pull some equity out of my NC home for purchasing power on the next investment property my wife and I decide to purchase. The issue I'm running into is that some lenders are saying that because it is an investment property due to us having tenants residing in the property, they will not do a HELOC or second mortgage. I am not going to cash out refi due to the fact that I have my NC home at a 2.75% interest rate. I have talked to a couple of commercial lenders who have told me they won't touch residential properties. Does anyone know any lenders that may be able to assist or does anyone have any advice?

Any help is appreciated, thank you, and be blessed!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 16:32

@Micah Thomas- you are  right - most  heloc  lenders  will not lend on rentals ....I  would  advise reaching out to the  smaller to midsize  banks and  credit unions  near the rental  to see if you can  locate  some flexibility  on  helocs  on rentals 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Tulloch
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 29 2022, 08:47

Micah - as Dave mentioned, finding a lender for a HELOC on an investment property can be tough. That said, there are lenders who can do it. Smaller banks/Credit unions are a good place to start or getting in touch with an investor friendly mortgage broker is what I would recommend.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dylan M. Davis
  • Lender
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Lender
  • New Jersey
Replied Nov 29 2022, 08:53

Hey there, a cash-out refi would be a good option. Rates and leverage here can very based on DSCR. Look for a 65-75% LTV Cash-out refinance qualified without looking at income. Closing with private money will be quicker and easier for you

User Stats

Votes
Simmy Ahluwalia
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 08:26

Micah, there is an option for a HELOAN (home equity loan) for your particular scenario.  It will allow you to keep your current 1st position interest rate, and this loan would be 2nd position.  Rate is much higher, but there is no pre-pay penalty.  There are other guidelines as well.  Reach out if you'd like additional information.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Dec 1 2022, 08:28
Quote from @Jack Tulloch:

Micah - as Dave mentioned, finding a lender for a HELOC on an investment property can be tough. That said, there are lenders who can do it. Smaller banks/Credit unions are a good place to start or getting in touch with an investor friendly mortgage broker is what I would recommend.

I second this. I'll add a recommendation to go to your local meetup. That's a great place to survey other investors and see who they use. 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Dec 1 2022, 09:41

The line of credit is second lien on the property and higher risk of not being paid back if you default. Do you have other property you can offer to secure the loan? You might be able to get a commercial line of credit from the same bank that has your primary mortgage. They will have less heartburn taking second lien because they will already have first. 

User Stats

Votes
Micah Thomas
Votes |
Replied Dec 1 2022, 12:52
Quote from @Dave Skow:

@Micah Thomas- you are  right - most  heloc  lenders  will not lend on rentals ....I  would  advise reaching out to the  smaller to midsize  banks and  credit unions  near the rental  to see if you can  locate  some flexibility  on  helocs  on rentals 

Thank you! Will definitely be looking out!

User Stats

Votes
Micah Thomas
Votes |
Replied Dec 1 2022, 12:52

Much appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Micah Thomas
Votes |
Replied Dec 1 2022, 12:53
Quote from @Dylan M. Davis:

Hey there, a cash-out refi would be a good option. Rates and leverage here can very based on DSCR. Look for a 65-75% LTV Cash-out refinance qualified without looking at income. Closing with private money will be quicker and easier for you

Thank you for the reply,  I really want to avoid a cash-out refi due to my low interest rate on the home!

User Stats

Votes
Micah Thomas
Votes |
Replied Dec 1 2022, 12:54
Quote from @Simmy Ahluwalia:

Micah, there is an option for a HELOAN (home equity loan) for your particular scenario.  It will allow you to keep your current 1st position interest rate, and this loan would be 2nd position.  Rate is much higher, but there is no pre-pay penalty.  There are other guidelines as well.  Reach out if you'd like additional information.

Thank you will do!

User Stats

Votes
Micah Thomas
Votes |
Replied Dec 1 2022, 12:55
Quote from @Benjamin Aaker:

The line of credit is second lien on the property and higher risk of not being paid back if you default. Do you have other property you can offer to secure the loan? You might be able to get a commercial line of credit from the same bank that has your primary mortgage. They will have less heartburn taking second lien because they will already have first. 

I do but it's in another state and through another lender, haven't had it long enough to do a refinance, great points though. I will remember that for the future!

User Stats

Votes
Micah Thomas
Votes |
Replied Dec 1 2022, 12:55
Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

I second this. I'll add a recommendation to go to your local meetup. That's a great place to survey other investors and see who they use. 

Definitely need to attend one of those!