Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Allison Keng
Votes |
College or Pre-licensing training if I want to become a Mortgage Broker ?

Allison Keng
Posted May 23 2023, 14:11

Hello to all Professors and friends 

I am a newbie that wanna get start with real estate and also a fan of bigger pocket. I believe bigger pocket community can help me by giving me some idea. I wonder what is the best path should I choose if I want to be a mortgage broker? I am debating should I go to college to get a degree in accounting then start working to gain experience but it’s going to slowing me down on my saving process and less time to maximize my income or should I just get a Pre-licensing training instead ?  Which one is best for building a strong foundation in this field with time and financial saving. If Pre-licensing training is better, Can you recommend me the resource that I can access to? I really appreciate your help. 
Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied May 23 2023, 15:38

Get your NMLS and work under a mortgage broker to learn the ropes of the business. 

Make sure to work with a broker that wants to grow their business. You will get the mentorship and training you need. 

No better way to learn than getting your hands dirty and going through the whole process yourself. My first few loans weren't pretty, but they got done nonetheless. 

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo
Account Closed
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 24 2023, 08:25
Quote from @Erik Estrada:

Get your NMLS and work under a mortgage broker to learn the ropes of the business. 

Make sure to work with a broker that wants to grow their business. You will get the mentorship and training you need. 

No better way to learn than getting your hands dirty and going through the whole process yourself. My first few loans weren't pretty, but they got done nonetheless. 

Agreed, hands on experience is always the most valuable.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Allison Keng
Votes |
Replied May 24 2023, 08:52
Quote from @Erik Estrada:

Thank for your advice 

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Feinman
  • Lender
  • VA Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • VA Beach, VA
Replied May 24 2023, 11:03

@Allison Keng

Allison - all the other posts are excellent advice. I would also add that there is an additional route that you can take - becoming a loan originator for a Private or Hard Money Lender. There is no licensing required and there are companies that will provide training. Another option for you to consider!

Bobby

User Stats

Votes
Allison Keng
Votes |
Replied May 24 2023, 13:16
Quote from @Bobby Feinman:

@Allison Keng

Allison - all the other posts are excellent advice. I would also add that there is an additional route that you can take - becoming a loan originator for a Private or Hard Money Lender There is no licensing required and there are companies that will provide training. Another option for you to consider!

Bobby

Thanks for your advice

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 24 2023, 13:24

Skip college. Go straight to the real world....

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied May 25 2023, 16:58

@Allison Keng- thanks 

definitely do the Pre-licensing training and  get licensed if possible ....consider taking  some  stand alone real estate  classes at a local  comm college  type  setting if you can  find some  ...consider  getting a  job  like a realtor assistant  or a loan officer  assistant  so you can  get some hands oon learning 

User Stats

Votes
Allison Keng
Votes |
Replied May 25 2023, 17:00
Quote from @Dave Skow:

@Allison Keng- thanks 

definitely do the Pre-licensing training and  get licensed if possible ....consider taking  some  stand alone real estate  classes at a local  comm college  type  setting if you can  find some  ...consider  getting a  job  like a realtor assistant  or a loan officer  assistant  so you can  get some hands oon learning 

I appreciate your advice 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied May 25 2023, 17:08

You are  welcome  ...I  got a BS degree in Finance from a large  private university many yrs  ago and  I really  cant  think I have  used  very much of what I learned  in my 30 yr + career :)

User Stats

Votes
Jared Rine
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jun 19 2023, 16:55

@Allison Keng..just adding my $0.02...jumped into the industry a long time ago and if I could do it all over again, I would never have gone to college (I do have a degree), as well as NMLS + CA DRE (I can do real estate if I want to).  I'd recommend getting licensed, but besides the licensing, I'd recommend finding a mortgage broker who is still growing/expanding their business, and someone who's been in the industry a decent amount of time as going through different real estate cycles really lets you see if you can stomach this industry.  Not to deter at all, but there are tons of people leaving it because it's seemingly tough out there.  Hope that helps.

• Lender California (#01915324) and California (#893462)

United Lending Partners Logo

User Stats

Votes
Allison Keng
Votes |
Replied Jun 20 2023, 11:31
Quote from @Jared Rine:

@Allison Keng..just adding my $0.02...jumped into the industry a long time ago and if I could do it all over again, I would never have gone to college (I do have a degree), as well as NMLS + CA DRE (I can do real estate if I want to).  I'd recommend getting licensed, but besides the licensing, I'd recommend finding a mortgage broker who is still growing/expanding their business, and someone who's been in the industry a decent amount of time as going through different real estate cycles really lets you see if you can stomach this industry.  Not to deter at all, but there are tons of people leaving it because it's seemingly tough out there.  Hope that helps.

Thank you for your advice @Jared Rine