Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Vince Le
Votes |
will a loan officer need to take broker's exam, and finish states education?

Vince Le
Posted Dec 25 2023, 20:01

After years working under a broker, will a mortgage loan originator with their individual license need to take any national exam, then study state education for each state that they wish to work again (but specifically for "broker") if there any, when they want to become a mortgage borker?

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 26 2023, 13:46

Yes. You will need to do the pre-licensing course. There is a really good one based in St Pete owned by a guy named Jim Montrym who has been doing it since I moved to Florida in 1996. I did mine through that school. Here's the link:  https://brokerschool.com/index.htm . Scroll about half-way down the page and he tells you what you need to get your FL licence and to pass the national NMLS exam. Once you do that, then you can get the individual state licenses you want. You can do the classes in person, live virtual, or self-paced on line. PM me if you want to schedule a call to ask questions. I'm happy to answer them. I'm based across the Bay in Tampa, I myself and licensed, and I own a mortgage company. I'm probably pretty qualified to answer questions. 

User Stats

Votes
Vanessa A Martin
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 29 2023, 09:46

Yes, Doug is correct, Jim Montrym is the best resource for all things mortgage. You also have all the resources on the NMLS site, they are always able to answer questions when you call them. Good luck https://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/Pages/default...

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.