Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Vince Le
Votes |
How can a mortgage loan originator become a mortgage broker?

Vince Le
Posted Dec 26 2023, 21:24

What will need to be done when a mortgage loan originator (who already passed the SAFE test and got the selective state education done) wants to become a mortgage broker to work for themself, so their commission won't split up? Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Dec 27 2023, 04:19
Quote from @Vince Le:

What will need to be done when a mortgage loan originator (who already passed the SAFE test and got the selective state education done) wants to become a mortgage broker to work for themself, so their commission won't split up? Thank you.

You would need to get your Real Estate Brokers license to be fully independent.

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dallas Sauer
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Phoenix Arizona
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Phoenix Arizona
Replied Dec 27 2023, 07:13
Quote from @Vince Le:

This is state specific and I would recommend checking the NMLS for your state requirements. Here in AZ, it requires a specific amount of time in the industry, more pre licensing education and passing of the brokers test before you can pay for and open your own mortgage brokerage. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Puente
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Dec 27 2023, 07:15

Hey Vince, I am a mortgage broker that transitioned from retail to wholesale and am happy to share my journey with you!  It's very easy to do, just need to find the right company that aligns with your values and goals. 

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 27 2023, 13:39

Hey @Vince Le. Make sure you think about the pros and cons. The compliance part can be a nightmare. Lenders pull your credit and ask for financials. There are a lot of headaches that are involved. Make sure the cost and headaches are worth it for you. Take it from a broker owner with several loan officers. It's not the cake walk that I thought it would be and there is value in having a broker/lender deal with a lot of the back office stuff.