Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Andy S.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Is it possible to work as a part-time broker?

Andy S.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Sep 4 2017, 15:15

Hi all! Brand new here. I briefly mentioned this in another one of my threads, but I think I'd get excellent answers in this sub-forum.

To start, I am a fresh graduate of a decent university (ranked in the top-10 in the nation for public schools, ranked in the top 40 overall). During undergrad, I majored in economics; I can say it definitely gave me a good quantitative background going into my prospective real estate career. Right now, I am looking for a full-time, W2 job that provides me with sustainable income to save up for my first deal. I am looking to work in finance/banking for 2-3 years and save up as much money as I can as I pursue my REI dream.

I really wanted to either get my salespersons license or brokers license to supplement my income on a part-time basis and for me to get to know the industry better + build connections. While I initially was leaning more towards getting my salesperson/agent license, I saw that as a college graduate, I can also try for the brokers license and bypass the 2-3 years of agent experience that is usually required to be a broker (I live in California). Would you all advise me on this? I see that brokers can represent themselves. Can being a part-time broker work out? I've never, ever heard of a part-time real estate broker. Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

Loading replies...