Getting started as a MLO

2 Replies

As an investor and someone who has a full time job, I would like to hear from others in this situation who took the plunge to get their MLO? Especially like to know how you got started and what you did after you got licensed ? Did you work for a brokerage - full time or part time ? Why as an investor also did you get your license ? As a note investor understanding the process is a key attribute and one of the reasons why I am pursuing it. Thanks

I actually am currently a MLO. I work for Mortgage Lenders of America a nationwide online lender based in Overland Park, Kansas. I originate mostly on the west coast andTexas. I eventually want to expand in to investing. I think getting in to MLO first is pretty valuable. You get a real good idea of what properties are worth guidelines in terms of lending, and work with the numbers behind a deal maybe more than the agent does. 

You have to take a 20 hour course and then your test. I went through loanofficerschool.com for my course

Originally posted by @Chris Seveney :
As an investor and someone who has a full time job, I would like to hear from others in this situation who took the plunge to get their MLO? Especially like to know how you got started and what you did after you got licensed ? Did you work for a brokerage - full time or part time ?

Why as an investor also did you get your license ?

As a note investor understanding the process is a key attribute and one of the reasons why I am pursuing it.

Thanks

Part time LOs aren't really a thing. It takes a full time commitment.

Chris Mason, Lender in CA (#1220177) and California (#1220177)
415-846-9211

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.