• Madison Heights, MI
Votes |
My inspiration for my own success

Scott K.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Madison Heights, MI
Posted Jan 10 2014, 13:21

Hello All.

This story will be about how my dad turned 8k into his way to freedom.

About 30 years ago my Grandmother passed and my dad got 8k from a secret account my grandmother set up for him. She new he would get screwed so this is how she did it.

My parents were simple people. My dad moved to Detroit area from Buffalo and my Mom grew up very poor. Both were just regular working folks. Dad in a shop and Mom drove bus so she would be home with the kids in the summer. Anyway how many times have we seen poor people get a bit of cash and just waste it?

Hell my mom must of thought she hit the lottery. They didn't take a vacation or waste it on a car or any other garbage that poor people do. He found his very first investment property.

He got a duplex that also had a servants house in the backyard in a very nice city (royal oak) north of Detroit. Got it on land contract for a total of 68K. For many years he managed and did all the work on it himself. He added another house that was next to the house we lived in. Again he added 2 more duplexes soon after.

So his 1st investment he got a 3 income property. That property that he still has and has invested a good chunk of money over the years is free and clear and now is worth 300k easy.

The 2 other duplexes he paid off and sold them many years later to have a very very nice profit.

The point I am trying to get across is he had a dream and a plan. He could of went on vacation or bought a new car. He could have lived in a better house but he didn't. He kept his eye on the prize and kept moving forward. Even when he was breaking even he was getting ahead.

Out of all those properties the one that I grew up in was the worse one he owned.

Now he is sitting up north in his cabin on the lake and he goes fishing or golfing everyday in the summer and sits out on the deck still smoking his cheap cigars and cheap beer.

That is my inspiration and also shows me that when people try to put doubt into what you want to do you pay them no attention and keep moving forward.

Also nothing wrong with dreaming but you also need some doing to get anywhere.

Scott

Loading replies...