Getting Started

3 Replies

Hey Guys,

Im still young and im just wondering what the different ways of starting out are? Can you just take out a loan and start buying and then pay it back later if your investment pays off? How do most investors start?

Alex -

Welcome to the forum.

Step 1 (and your only focus area right now) is to get educated.

I undestand that is the purpose of your thread, but you posted a very general and open ended question that could be answered in literally thousands of different ways. Read some real estate related books, become involved in the forums here on BP, listen to the podcasts, read as many real estate blogs that you possibly can, attend local REIA's, and start trying to connect with local investors to pick their brains.

Once you have established a foundation of knowledge, you will be able to identify your desired niche in real estate investment and take action.

Thanks for the advice Scott.

My question now is, should I go to school and then get my real estate license or should I just jump right in and use my savings and other methods of finance to start investing

@Alex Kolisnyk

Get your license if you are interested in becoming a real estate agent. Some investors favor being licensed, some are against it. Your preference will come during your education phase. When I say get educated, I am referring to the suggestions above, not necessarily any formal schooling.

I would advise against "jumping right in" and using your savings before you have a defined path.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide