lost my job today.....yes this is the right forum

17 Replies

As some of you know I was a HUD property inspector. Been shot at, got held up at gun point, found a dead guy that got shot 4 times 2 to the back and 2 to the head. So this I won't miss.

I will miss the easy job and pretty much doing things when I wanted. Just don't be late with the inspections is what I was told. I only went into the office 1 time a month.

So the success is now I get to put max effort into finishing the property I bought a month ago. I also will have more time to find some more deals. I will focus on flipping the properties.

I will make my own job. I will make it on my own without being worried about getting let go anymore.

It also helps that the wife is the President of a nation wide Title Company. That's good for me.

So yes I lost my job but hey it happens. Onward and upward. Now lets get going.

Very true bro, drive on and remember everything happens for a reason...

This could be the step you needed to make a massive step forward! I agree... Now let's get going forward and upward!

Congratulations and I'm cheering for you.

Awesome, it's a promotion! Focus and blow this out the water. I am truly trying to also ! # Wegotthis

That's a great attitude, and having the spousal support (personal and financial) doesn't hurt either.

Sometimes you get forced into taking that first step... but it's still a step in a direction you were going-in anyway!

Good Luck!

Well I already have 3 total properties. But none of them are making money right now.

1st house - under water on - nephew and his son live there for free. We don't care he just got out of the Air Force and he just got into being a buyers agent.

2nd house - Paid cash - The wife and I are living in and fixing it up while here.

3rd house - Paid cash - in the process of rehabbing for a flip.

Always looking for more, now I will have more time

Turning lemons into lemonade....love it. Sounds like you got the right attitude. I'm sure we'll be seeing more success stories from you soon, Scott.

Congratulations on your promotion. You've graduated from Kiyosaki's E-quadrant to the B & I quadrant. Imagine, instead of finding a dead rat or animal, instead of a human body in one of your future abandoned properties. Been there, done that!

So, are you one of those guys they talk about on the podcasts that give landlords a hard time like forcibly peeling the paint for section 8? Hope you'll share your HUD adventures with your BP family. You're an untapped resource.

@Scott K.

It's SHOWTIME!!! Now that you only have one thing to focus on!!

"Life is 10% what happens to me 90% how I react to it"

By Charles R Swindoll

I lost my "cube job" almost four years ago - except for the lack of money (which IS a problem!), I'm very happy with my life. You've got a lot of opportunities to do things you've been putting off - or don't do them at all. It's up to you what you make of this "bonus" time. Best of luck!

Many years ago, I didn't lose my cushy corporate job...I was fired. The position, I understand, is still there and presumably is now occupied by another individual. My Fortune 500 employer had strict rules (like showing up to work) that I could not adhere to.

I knew the moment it was over that they had done me a big favor.

The gift of desperation is a powerful thing. No longer distracted by an employer, I was able to focus on doing what I had longed to do but did not have the courage to full time. The big question: could I survive, let alone thrive, as a self-employed real estate investor?

The answer was to find a real estate career that aligned well with my aspirations. I quickly found work as a loan officer at a hard money lender.

Going from salary to 100% commission was a big adjustment. I learned quickly that just because I did my job well, there were plenty of roadblocks that interfered with getting paid. That's when I decided I had to start my own business.

Along the way I re-dedicated my commitment to education, eliminating all of the dream merchants and BS artists that promoted their crappy material and started following attorneys like Fred Crane (First Tuesday, Riverside, CA) and John Beck (before his obsession with tax deeds and liens). This is probably why it was a natural fit when I discovered my forte niche, probate.

Scott K. - Yes, you can survive and thrive. Perhaps the most difficult challenge that you will encounter is finding that internal "gift of desperation" that motivates you to push harder to succeed when you have a successful wife. Your challenge is to find and keep that mental state which motivates you to stay focused on deal flow and problem solving.

Please keep us in the loop.

agree with the responses! congrats.

My first time posting. Scott I feel for you and I do think things happen for a reason. please post a follow up post and let us know how you are doing.

You know, once I also lost a job. I was a successful realtor. My professional way didn't start at once. Furthermore, I faced so many difficulties with it that I even thought to give up on it and change the career. I am a risky person but I would like to take maximum. I started scrambling, catching the tiniest possibility to sell the house and then I realized... That it's not enough. At some point, I was ready to quit the game. I guess my boss felt it and fired me. Even though I was ready, it shocked me. Why? Where should I go? What should I do? Plus, I had problems with my husband, my parents divorced... It was the worst period of my life ever. Still, I decided to fight with circumstances. I took part in different professional courses and seminars to improve my qualification, registered on different job search websites, created catchy profiles on social media, ordered resume from Resume Writing Lab, sent it to the reputable employers, and once I finally got the answer! You think why am I saying this... Look, there are so many people, who faced difficulties, but they support you because they not that it's a temporary state of things. Everything will change and you should make the first step toward your future success. Maybe you should think about launching your own business or changing a career.. Who knows where you will find success but you WILL find it. Just know where to start and believe in yourself!:)

I lost my job 32 years ago , and started my own contracting business , started small . Bought some rentals along the way , never looked back 

Originally posted by @Scott K. :

As some of you know I was a HUD property inspector. Been shot at, got held up at gun point, found a dead guy that got shot 4 times 2 to the back and 2 to the head. So this I won't miss.

I will miss the easy job and pretty much doing things when I wanted. Just don't be late with the inspections is what I was told. I only went into the office 1 time a month.

So the success is now I get to put max effort into finishing the property I bought a month ago. I also will have more time to find some more deals. I will focus on flipping the properties.

I will make my own job. I will make it on my own without being worried about getting let go anymore.

It also helps that the wife is the President of a nation wide Title Company. That's good for me.

So yes I lost my job but hey it happens. Onward and upward. Now lets get going.

3 years later. How'd things end up turning out Scott?

I'm not sure I would refer to such a job as "lost" but best of luck moving forward!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here