Boring is sexy

6 Replies

Inspired by recent podcast. I want to fuel it by one of the example of my own to prove again that boring is real sexy in real estate!

This is a typical deal in Houston Texas back in the 2011-2012. Single family home 1100 Square Feet 3/2/2 - 2006 built for sale by seller on the MLS - need no repair for $79000. I simply put down 20% as the down payment with a 30 years mortgage to close the deal

I spent a weekend to clean it up, lease it out, and multiple application came in within the 1st week on market.

Principle and Interest is only at $324.24. tax and insurance is at $316.49 (yes i do fight my property tax every single year) and rent is at 1150 . Anyone can do the math. This is one of those deal that i don't even have to pull out my calculator to see how much is the return before i buy.

Unlike what you see on the TV show where they they chew each other head off at the court house to buy property, or have a team of 20 people show up to gut down the crappy house and put in fancy stuff. I send in a simple real estate contract to secure the deal, drag my gf out of her bed, and we showed up at the property after closing with a broom and the trash can

Fancy is sexy! Boring is sexier!

What about you? I would love to hear about your boring deal! please post it in the reply! 

Sexy indeed!  That's a great deal!!!

I think you bring up a good point.  You can get rick quicker with off-the-wall, high-risk, creative deals - but those are also high-risk.  Personally, I'll take those boring sexy deals all-day long.

Example?

Smaller place in a good area in Charlotte.  ~1600 sqr ft on nearly 1/4 acre.  3/2.5., built in 2010.  Paid 97,000 but is move-in ready.  Rents for 1100 and rented within a week of closing.  Solid single.

Simple 4/2 in Florida that I just finished up minor rehab. I found it on MLS on a Friday afternoon for $48k, had a signed contract Monday morning, closing 10 days after my offer. It was such a great find that before closing happened I was offered $75k as it sat. It was a probate deal that cost me $325 total closing, and $4500 to get it ready to rent. New tenant moving in for $950/month tomorrow. Not a stellar deal, but a real winner that just fell in my lap with virtually no effort required. My realtor said that it is now worth about $100k. So I will do a 50% LTV cash out refi when eligible and have no money tied up in it and still cash flow over $200/month. Boring deal, yes. Sexy return for the effort, you bet!

@Huy Nguyen:

Do you have any before pictures?

Hi @David C.  ,

unfortunately (and fortunately) I don't have any before pictures because the before look exactly the same as the after. Like i said. I just show up with a broom with my gf and we just sweeped up the place and take pictures

@Huy N.  congrats!  I'm a newbie looking to do his first deal, but this is inspiring.  I hope to post about my boring and sexy deal soon.  Cheers!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here