• Developer
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Quit my full-time job

John Blackman
  • Developer
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jul 5 2014, 12:10

I figured I would share a personal victory here.  @Bryan Hancock and myself have been ramping up our project volume over the last four years and this is turning out to be a banner year.  So much so that I was able to quit my full time job as a Development Manager at Microsoft to take on real estate investing and development as a full time passion.  My last day was in April, and I can't imagine going back.  The business would suffer too much.

I started investing about 5 years ago, starting with fix and flips.  My very first flip made $700 and took me 6 months.  But the lessons learned were priceless.  The next flip I did made $7,000.  One power of ten is pretty good for deal #2.  Then I started building.  Deal #3 made about $30,000 and took 9 months.

Today Inner 10 Capital has 43 active projects with a full pipeline and I'm doing it full time.  It's actually more work than my day job was, but it doesn't feel like it.  It's fun, more lucrative than my day job, and scalable which is the most important part.

Five years isn't that long anymore, but it's long enough to have a complete transformation.  Thanks to everyone who's been a partner, mentor, and cheer leader.

Loading replies...