inspiring stories

9 Replies

I would LOVE to hear all stories about the first deal you as an investor have closed. These stories are so inspirational to me!

Please SHARE SHARE SHARE!

I've posted this before. Thinking back, a key thing for me was reading a book on a creative approach to buying/selling. The library was my friend, later replaced by BiggerPockets. 

Video describing my first deal 

Took me almost a year to find and do my first deal in my niche. Definitely the most important deal as well as the most memorable one. After the first deal, you're officially in the game. Best of luck! 

thank you @Rachel H.  and @Jon Klaus  . What exactly was your first deal and how did it come about for you? What type of RE transaction was it?

Sure thing @Ronald Hunt  . 

Basically, I just followed a system and a variety of marketing methods. Tried a lot of things out and found what worked for me. One important lesson I learned was the importance of getting multiple opinions. Had some fix-up issues and found out via my meetings with various contractors the issue was not as major as I thought. 

Hope that helps!

p.s. Usually, I don't really like to talk much about numbers in the forums since every deal and criteria is different for everyone. Though, if you're interested I go into more detail about my first deal on my site. Best of luck! 

First wholesale took me about 3 months to do.  My wife and I wrote 500 yellow letters by hand and I created a cheap website on Wix and started a Google Adwords campaign to drive traffic to it.  I got a lead on a campus property that came through the website.

Made about 100 mistakes along the way.  Here are a few: Advertised and took buyer there before I had it in contract, filled out the contract wrong, used a contract I found online, tried doing a double closing with no transactional funding, never got the rent or security credits from the sellers, mis-matched the buy and sell contracts so I got stuck in the middle paying $1300 for the title insurance.  Sometime ignorance is the best way to get things done.  I didn't know I couldn't do those things.

Ended up with a check from the title company for $8,700 and I couldn't have been happier!  My wife went out to dinner that night and celebrated knowing this was the beginning of something great!  About 10 months later I have closed 13 deals and 3 more in contract while still working a full-time job.  I just started my first fix and flip with a partner and excited for what the future holds?

Great job, John Horner. You went to school and got paid for it, even though you got a couple of C's and D's. I bet you won't ever make some of those mistakes again. 

@John Horner:

Made about 100 mistakes along the way.  Here are a few: Advertised and took buyer there before I had it in contract, filled out the contract wrong, used a contract I found online, tried doing a double closing with no transactional funding, never got the rent or security credits from the sellers, mis-matched the buy and sell contracts so I got stuck in the middle paying $1300 for the title insurance.  Sometime ignorance is the best way to get things done.  I didn't know I couldn't do those things.

Ended up with a check from the title company for $8,700 and I couldn't have been happier!  My wife went out to dinner that night and celebrated knowing this was the beginning of something great!  About 10 months later I have closed 13 deals and 3 more in contract while still working a full-time job.  I just started my first fix and flip with a partner and excited for what the future holds?

That is awesome stuff John.  I really thank you for sharing the mistakes.  those are the best ways to learn I find.  it must have felt amazing carrying a check for $8,700 payable to you.  keep up the great work!

question - did you do regular marketing by mail of yellow letters to the same addresses, or did you mix it up?

cheers and again, congrats!

Patrick

Closed my first deal in 2007 after searching for 6 months. Its a memorable one and I had to push myself hard to convince myself it's the right thing for me. I almost drop the idea of being an investor. I am Glad that I did the deal against friends and family, who suggested otherwise.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here