Poll how much money has BiggerPockets made for you?

205 Replies

To be honest, when I first came on to BP I was scouring the internet to get a sense of the market in southern California, having just relocated from a city where we'd lived for most of our lives. It was a huge adjustment, and BP was the "friend" that I found in the new location that could help me get a grasp on the new area and new real estate market. When I first became a member I wasn't looking at it as a way to make "me" money, but to familiarize myself with the new area. BP made a huge difference, and gave me back my confidence. 

I quickly realized with my 30+ years experience as an agent, builder/developer, that I could help out others too. I became addicted! 

Though I haven't actually made money (yet) directly from BP, we are working on a deal with another BP member. I've also been contacted by others with large sums of cash wanting to invest, but, not wanting to get ahead of myself, had to pass. 

I've had many offers to blog for others, be interviewed for newspapers, do webinars, radio spots, and speak at events, etc. I've had calls from members all over the planet wanting info on development, and real estate. 

Thanks to all the hard work that @Joshua Dorkin   has done over the years building this incredible site, there's been countless numbers of people that have been lifted up, profited, and educated. I cannot imagine the time he's sacrificed to build this site, and how much it has grown just since I've been here. I cannot wait to see where this progresses. I have no doubt that in the real estate investment space, BP will rival Facebook! Congrats Joshua! 

Zero so far. I joined BP last summer and was absent for the last three months for various reasons. I see the incredible value of all kinds of networking and, after reading through all these posts, BP needs to be a consistent, daily part of my life. Ask me this question in a year and I'll have a much bigger number than 0 for you :)

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

To be honest, when I first came on to BP I was scouring the internet to get a sense of the market in southern California, having just relocated from a city where we'd lived for most of our lives. It was a huge adjustment, and BP was the "friend" that I found in the new location that could help me get a grasp on the new area and new real estate market. When I first became a member I wasn't looking at it as a way to make "me" money, but to familiarize myself with the new area. BP made a huge difference, and gave me back my confidence. 

I quickly realized with my 30+ years experience as an agent, builder/developer, that I could help out others too. I became addicted! 

Though I haven't actually made money (yet) directly from BP, we are working on a deal with another BP member. I've also been contacted by others with large sums of cash wanting to invest, but, not wanting to get ahead of myself, had to pass. 

I've had many offers to blog for others, be interviewed for newspapers, do webinars, radio spots, and speak at events, etc. I've had calls from members all over the planet wanting info on development, and real estate. 

Thanks to all the hard work that @Joshua Dorkin   has done over the years building this incredible site, there's been countless numbers of people that have been lifted up, profited, and educated. I cannot imagine the time he's sacrificed to build this site, and how much it has grown just since I've been here. I cannot wait to see where this progresses. I have no doubt that in the real estate investment space, BP will rival Facebook! Congrats Joshua! 

I'm curious as to how you mitigate your risks?  I totally understand using your own money has far less headaches than dealing with the banks or private lenders and gives you higher returns when things go right, but what about if things go wrong?   I'm not saying you're wrong, clearly you have been very successful, but to me the risk mitigation factor alone necessitates having some kind of money partner.

Not much yet because I'm afraid of losing other people's money. However, I did a $1.2M deal with two BP members earlier this year. I also have done private loans to two BP members. 

I got a lot of free lunches, dinners and coffee. I also bought a lot of lunches, dinners and coffee. One of my most satisfying moments is when one of my mentees, a 30-year old kid who did 5 flips and netted over $390k in the last 18 months.  He now owns 4 rental properties worth over $650k and has 2 more flips in the pipeline with 6 figures spread. 

I got a $50 starbuck gift card from him last Christmas, and a big bottle of Crown Royal when my family went to Oregon in August for a family wedding. He and his wife drove 4.5 hours to meet us in Oregon for the first time.  Both of them are smart individuals so they should do very well in real estate. He's been touching base with me almost every Friday. So how much does that worth for free mentoring? 

There are many things in life we can't put a price on.  The one thing I got most out of BP, where I couldn't quantify the dollar amount, is friendship. Some have become very good friends. We share info, deals and discuss strategies on a regular basis. How much does that worth? :0)

Merry Christmas. 

Originally posted by @Minh Le :

There are many things in life we can't put a price on.  The one thing I got most out of BP, where I couldn't quantify the dollar amount, is friendship. Some have become very good friends. We share info, deals and discuss strategies on a regular basis. How much does that worth? :0)

Merry Christmas. 

That is where I view the MOST value received from BP! I could not agree more Minh.

@Karen Margrave and @Cal C. please chime in on this new thread regarding your discussion that went offline: http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1640...

Just signed the contract on my first deal. Got a duplex in an A neighborhood for almost no money down. Going to owner occupy one half of the duplex next year, will not pay any rent and will still cashflow on top of that after expenses. Definitely would have made some mistakes if I didn't have the ability to search the forums for any questions that came up.

Will post the details in success stories within the next couple weeks!

>1000 on my first deal (which I am still in the middle of closing - a long story which merits a whole other post) since becoming a BP member about a month ago.  This comes from a renegotiation with the buyer that brought an extra $5000 in earnings.  I attribute my success in the negotiation to the application of certain techniques that I read about, and decided to test out, in "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I'm sure I would not have read this book if I had not heard it recommended on one of the BP podcasts I've listened to recently.

Thanks everybody!

I am close to over 10k. This year my goal is over 100k! High goals, I know. I plan to be more active on the site. It is great to read all the success that others have had from this site. 

Originally posted by @Minh Le :

So far $0 as i still new however as highlighted discussions etc on strategies,deals is priceless.

Originally posted by @Bhekizwe M. :
Originally posted by @Minh Le:

So far $0 as i still new however as highlighted discussions etc on strategies,deals is priceless.

I'm certain if you hang around BP enough and use what you learn here, you'll be able to increase that $0 by quite a bit!

This post has been removed.

Definitely over $1000 saved and I have only done one deal and that deal was a direct result of finding Bigger Pockets. Definitely hope to make a lot more from the knowledge I have gained from BP in the future!

Nothing yet, but thanks to all the motivation and wisdom from the people on this site I hope to make my first investment before years end. I have read plenty and it is time to take action. Being from the Southern California area makes it harder as I would like to buy and hold a small multifamily and/or do a live in flip. Maybe out of state??

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here