Poll how much money has BiggerPockets made for you?

205 Replies

Looking at the responses I think the question should've been asked more concisely, ie "what dollar amount of profit have you made or funding have you raised DIRECTLY with other Biggerpockets members you've initially met on the site?"

Having a background as a consultant in several fields, I must agree with the majority. As a consultant I expect to be paid for my time, this is non negotiable, performance clauses are a must, but I cannot force a client to listen to me or take advantage of the plan and position I put them in.

Essentially BP is invaluable, members are allowed to basically "consult" AT NO CHARGE with industry vets, that my frien is priceless, it's up to you to monetize the info for profit or to combat losses.

In my humble opinion...

I purposefully worded it that way to draw in more responses, by not putting people on the spot.  

I emphatically affirm your last paragraph!

@ Cal C. I get it. The point was to encourage unguided conversation regarding the question; which is a proven mwthod of research, let those answering frame thier the specifics THEY think should entail their answer, and see what the general concensus are. Questions like these are good, as the responses help people understand if their specific motive can be served on the forum, which should in turn limit inappropriate request.

I think every member here is a superstar, being a quasi tech guy, this is one of the best member regulated sites that exsist. There will always be an unbiased member ready to jump in an offer guidance. And the MODS do AN EXCELLENT JOB NOT MAKING IT ABOUT THEM. Sure they may have product they sell or subscriptions, but the stuff actually has value, they don't force it on you, abd it doesn't upstage the sites core function.

Ps, I was just adding to your statement, confirming I agree with your POV and adding to it!

Forgive my grammer, Galaxy 5 spell check is working against me tonight, lol.

I plan on buying my first duplex next spring, but in the meantime I've acquired so much knowledge from the forums, podcasts and webinars, I know I'll have some 0's and commas added soon enough. BP is the best website ever.

Starting in 2011 when DH went on sabbatical from his horrible day job, I started to read this forum, fat wallet's property forum, the MMM real estate forum and I even bought a couple of property investing books. DH had some honey-do rehab projects to do around our house for that first year while we learned about property investing and created our business plan. We finally dove in to investing (buy and hold) in 2012. We have purchased one property each year and now gross 93k/yr. so I cannot actually pinpoint a dollar amount since it just keeps growing with each month's rent checks. I leave the math up to the audience:)

DH never did have to go back to that day job and we are planning my exit from a day job in a couple of years, however we officially became financially independent in January of this year. Now I work for the man because I want to! I have a few items that need buttoning up before I can bask in retirement.

We plan for a minimalist approach to transition me to not working a day job. We are going to sell one of our properties and our primary residence to pay off the two multi's we want to keep, which will more than double our rental income. We will keep a SFH rented (with a small mortgage) for us to return to after traveling. We are going to slow travel in our dream RV (yet to be acquired and one of the reasons I continue to work) until we tire of it then we can decide to return home and move into our awaiting SFH, or perhaps sell it, all of it etc... who knows as that is years out.

We may do a flip or two down the road if we get bored, our skill set is there and we enjoy rehabbing homes, but we would look into that AFTER we relax a bit. We want to enjoy the freedom of our passive income FIRST, then go back to work on making more money later... if we are so inclined:) 

I wanted to tell my story because it is not the typical guns a blazin' approach most investors take...

Originally posted by @Tracy L. :

Starting in 2011 when DH went on sabbatical from his horrible day job, I started to read this forum, fat wallet's property forum, the MMM real estate forum and I even bought a couple of property investing books. DH had some honey-do rehab projects to do around our house for that first year while we learned about property investing and created our business plan. We finally dove in to investing (buy and hold) in 2012. We have purchased one property each year and now gross 93k/yr. so I cannot actually pinpoint a dollar amount since it just keeps growing with each month's rent checks. I leave the math up to the audience:)

DH never did have to go back to that day job and we are planning my exit from a day job in a couple of years, however we officially became financially independent in January of this year. Now I work for the man because I want to! I have a few items that need buttoning up before I can bask in retirement.

We plan for a minimalist approach to transition me to not working a day job. We are going to sell one of our properties and our primary residence to pay off the two multi's we want to keep, which will more than double our rental income. We will keep a SFH rented (with a small mortgage) for us to return to after traveling. We are going to slow travel in our dream RV (yet to be acquired and one of the reasons I continue to work) until we tire of it then we can decide to return home and move into our awaiting SFH, or perhaps sell it, all of it etc... who knows as that is years out.

We may do a flip or two down the road if we get bored, our skill set is there and we enjoy rehabbing homes, but we would look into that AFTER we relax a bit. We want to enjoy the freedom of our passive income FIRST, then go back to work on making more money later... if we are so inclined:) 

I wanted to tell my story because it is not the typical guns a blazin' approach most investors take...

Wow I feel honored that you posted on one of my threads first after being on here for four years.  

Congratulations on being able to become financially independent.  Sounds like you have a great strategy that is working very well!

I think the information that I have obtain since join BP has saved me at least $100,000.  Just in avoiding bad deals, tenant screening, free information from experienced investors and all the other resources.

This post has been removed.

So far with only 3-4 days of participation, I learned enough to put $90.83 back into my pocket via my HOA. How? Realized via member posts how important it is to know the bylaws and learned that HOA fees were covering repairs that are unit owner specific. Nothing major, but enough to justify a paid subscription. I expect that number to increase significantly.

I was investing in Real Estate before I joined and if I could say the answer to the question you ask is that it depends. 

What I can genuinely say is that Bigger Pockets has saved me at least $6,000.  I take the information from the Podcasts and Forums to formulate into my own business plan.  If I have any further questions I ask  or just does not make sense I ask my CPA, lawyer, bank business branch, someone in my network or a good friend. 

Going back to my earlier response of it depends.  I believe Bigger Pockets appeals and impacts all levels of the investor. For the beginning investor or someone like me who was strongly considering paying to became part of a very well marketed/oiled Education company it can save a lot.  For the intermediate or advanced investor I can only imagine what Bigger Pockets can save. 

My thoughts.

Ken

Originally posted by @Cal C. :

I'm not going to get too inquisitive here, so lets simply use  the numbers below.  Please select the number that is most appropriate.  I personally have made more than $100K.

Over $1,000

over $10,000

Over $100,000

Over $1,000,000

Over $10,000,000 If you made this much you'll probably be asked to do show 101.  :) 

In purely educational terms, I'd say over $100k.  My portfolio is the size that it is (less than a million, but doing very well), because of the advice I've gotten on here, and the questions that have gotten answered.

It's very hard to quantify. I haven't gotten any deals off of a facebook, but I've met several private lenders and learned a lot as well as refined my own thinking by writing for the blog. I've also found a few vendors. So it's been very helpful, but I wouldn't know how to put a number to that. 

This makes me so excited and inspires me so much. Wow. Hopefully I can say the same thing as many like J Scott and others in the next few years. Just getting started so nothing yet but hopefully something soon.

Yeah BP is awesome!

I made over $100K through BP last year. Through BP I did my biggest wholesale deal on a house (over $28K profit) in my real estate career.

About 20 weeks ago, I set a goal of $1M through joint ventures with BP members. I am already tracking over $400K. Most of that have not been cashed though since a lot of those deals are fix-n-flip and rent to own. Regardless, my membership is paid for more than a THOUSAND TIMES! Here are the specifics.

Thanks BP Nation!

Thanks @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner

I would say well over $100k in the less than 2 years since finding BP.  I literally define my career/life as "before BP" and "after BP"

I have learned strategies on how to grow my business (buy and hold investor) which has led me to acquire properties in the past year that increased my net worth by $325k (purchase price vs appraised value)

I have learned how to more efficiently run my business and implement processes and strategies which led to a decrease in vacancy and expenses as well as time spent managing the business.  This in itself is worth it's weight in gold for me.

I have met SO MANY people locally, nationally, and virtually that have given me advice, ideas, and friendships.  The next step in my business is partnerships and BP has introduced me to these people and possibilities.  The friendships I have made on BP provide an indescribable amount of value to my life, both personally and professionally.

I started a brokerage company because of a BP member who approached me asking for help buying his first investment property and since then have worked with many BP members to do the same.  

I met my business partner @Jay Hinrichs in which we launched a website.  This has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for us.  

I quit my corporate job in July 2014 and my husband left his job in July 2015.  Without BP that would have never happened.  

Can't say that BP has helps me make any money. There must be something you all are doing that I'm not. More networking, perhaps? I'm certainly not getting deals on my own, that's for sure.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here