$52,069 profit on my first "Firehouse"

38 Replies

What's up BP Nation? I flipped my first ever burned out "Firehouse" a few months ago and it turned out pretty well. $52,069 in profit. This story has a few interesting twists and take aways as well. One of my key take aways was NEVER to make a blind offer to a motivated seller.... ask me how I know. :( I almost missed out on this deal entirely!!

True to form, I made a video of this story for my Vlog. It's 7 minutes long and I'd love to hear your comments.

http://youtu.be/GUAITz6hq7g

Hey, Andy don't you love it when "a plan comes together"!  Great job, congratulations!

I've yet to do a fire-damaged flip, not because I'm reluctant to do one, but because the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet. Great job!

@Andy M. - that's a great story and video...loved it!  And congratulations on getting it done while making some great money.  

From a personal, self-interest standpoint I'd love to hear a little more about the red-tape that you had to work through to get going on the property.

Congrats again and all the best!

Medium honoluahomesd22ar04dp02zl pierce4dTravis Hamilton, Honolua Homes | [email protected] | (844) 466‑6582 | http://honoluahomes.com

Love the video! Good stuff.

@Andy M. Great work!  As others have said, the video was very well put together as well.  Congratulations, that is a truly a win-win deal for all involved.  You should be very proud of that one.

@Andy M.

Nice job!  I'm an experienced rehabber, but fire damage properties intimidate.  Now I have 52K reasons to consider.  My mind in OPEN!!!

Thats awesome! I'm sure you loved the whole process.

That's just a great job! The education was the key here. Thanks for sharing... Love the video.

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing! 

@Teresa Vinson El Lol. I love it when a plan comes together as well. ;)

@Craig Pfeffer @Rolanda Eldridge I bet you both will keep your eyes open for fire damaged houses now! They are definitely money makers! I have a buddy Billy Alvaro, I have an AWESOME interview with him on my video blog [here if your interested: http://youtu.be/xx9UeTNKFek ] that does a lot of fire damaged houses and he says that they are always his best money makers!

@Griffin Fehrs @Andrew Johnson Thanks for the love on the video production! That seriously means a lot. Especially to my brother who is the talent behind the camera and editing.

@Jean Cetoute I'm glad that the story encouraged you! I thought that showing these videos would make it "real" for people. None of that fake HG TV stuff you know? Thanks for YOUR encouragement to me. :)

@Travis Hamilton Ah... the red tape involved with the city on this project.. where do I begin. You can't demo the property (I.E. clean up ANYTHING) until you have certifications that there isn't asbestos. Then you need to draw up plans (normal permit stuff). With the burned wood you need to go through a process (engineering?? I forget what it is called) to determine if it is structurally sound or if it needs replacing. Basically anything that has a look of fire damage, even if it isn't "burned" per se. There were definitely other little things that came up, but the biggest headache was dealing with the prolonged timelines because there is the whole city process, timelines, inspections, reinspections, etc. 

That was pretty cool! Love the video real time feel.  #feelingmotivatedtogetitdone

Thanks for sharing

@Monique Housen-Hila Thanks for the encouragement on the video! I really love it when people watch my videos and they say that it inspires or encourages them! Seriously, that is what keeps me going with the video blog most days. Love it. :)

Awesome story and video. Congrats, thanks for sharing.

@Brandon Johnson and @Tony Han Thanks for the kind words on the video. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but seriously, I appreciate the love. :)

Here is a follow up question for the thread.. I've been making different kinds of videos for my video blog. There are project videos (like the Firehouse video you just watched), interviews, and also a weekly show I call "From the Trenches". I'd love to hear people's thoughts on what they find the most valuable.

Great video and story.  My biggest takeaway is something that I've been taught and it's proving more and more true all the time... that building rapport is one of the most important parts of the story.   And I'm glad you showed ALL the numbers, including the interest spend from the loan, not like on TV.... even though I still watch those shows, LOL. 

Very well done video.

Margaret J., Sonoran Valley Ventures LLC | 888‑820‑1296 | http://sonoranvalleyventures.com/

@andy 

@Andy M. undefined hey Andy I found this post through an email from bigger pockets and your link lead me to your YouTube page. I love your series from the trenches. I'm a newbie investor and your videos are great info and they aren't long and drawn out like most REI videos. Keeps it simple and to the point I love it. I'm surprised you don't have more views on your videos . Well thanks again for the info here and on YouTube!

Great video.

That's awesome, great motivating story. You should have made some dunce hat's for your team and put them in time out, hahaha:)

Congratulations! A lot of investors won't touch "fire houses." I commend you!

@Andy M. I just subscribed to your Youtube channel and watched several more of your videos.  You really do have some high quality videos and provide great content. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you