Votes
Jon Deavers
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Feel-good resell transaction

Jon Deavers
  • Richmond, VA
Posted Mar 12 2015, 13:59

I just wanted to share a story about a client I've been working with. I picked them up from a sign-call on a rental property I have listed for another client. They have proven to be some of the most friendly and genuine people I have ever met, become good friends, and we would have never connected if it wasn't for the real estate business.

This is a retired couple who lived in what may would consider a C-class neighborhood. The husband bought his home over 30 years ago and he and his now wife had lived in it together for a long time. Late last year, the house caught fire while they were away running errands and they lost all of their personal possessions. The insurance company paid them for their home and possessions but because their house was located where it was, in a depressed area, the payout was less than $100k.

We've searched for the last month for a new home that they could pay cash for since they are on a fixed income and financing would be a challenge. Finally, we found a place that fits their needs perfectly and are now under contract. In addition to getting to know this couple, it connected me with the listing agent who is a real gem in our local market. The bonus being a great start to a professional relationship with someone highly respected in her field.

My favorite thing about this whole process however, has been getting to know the buyers. We've spent long, cold, frozen mornings in their living room just discussing their past and what life was like growing up and coming along in Richmond during much different times than the present. It's reaffirmed my decision to choose this profession because I feel fully vested in their future and my goal is helping a family in need get into a new place that they can call home. A very stark contrast to my prior career where many times I felt like I was just enduring the passing of time waiting for the weekends and a salary check that allowed me to keep paying bills. 

The point of this post, I suppose, is just to say that this industry, regardless of the approach you're taking, can be very rewarding on many levels and I feel very fortunate to have made the decision to jump in. None of this would have been possible without the education and support of the BP community. Thanks to Josh Dorkin and his team for building such a fantastic place to learn and share.