My first Podcast appearance ^^

12 Replies

No.. it wasn't BiggerPockets.. (yet ^^)

A little more than a year ago, I made the decision to start investing in real estate. Only I had one small problem. I'm living in Korea and I wanted to buy in the US. I had to find a way to overcome 6,000 miles of ocean.

Enter.. BiggerPockets..

Thanks to the BP community here, not only was I able to meet two AWESOME and KNOWLEDGEABLE joint venture partners: @Maxwell Lee and @Kelly L. and make that first investment, I was also able to meet @John Van Uytven who had the great idea to start a meetup out here in Korea - The Seoul Real Estate Investing Meetup which I've posted about in the past:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/185...

A Korean market-focused podcast - Marketing In Korea - asked me to come on the show to talk about my 17 years of experience doing business in Korea as well as talk about the meetup I help co-organize and how I was able to invest in the US while living in Korea. I, of course, mentioned BiggerPockets several times!

I know I'm not a seasoned enough real estate investor for the listeners of the BP Podcast yet @Joshua Dorkin @Brandon Turner but I'm working on it ^^

The great thing that this journey into real estate investing has taught me is the power of networking with others. I'm not sure I meet Tony, the show's host, had I not been co-organizing our meetup. And I owe the shift in my thinking, in realizing how important it is, to the community here at BP. 

So thanks guys!

And if anyone wants to learn more about how 16 BP Colleague Requests led to my first real estate investment, here's a link (It's all in English ^^):

http://www.marketinginkorea.com/006/

Also on iTunes, Marketing In Korea, Episode #6

Also a big shout out to the other members of the Seoul Real Estate Investing Meetup who are on BP: @Jacob Michaels , @Dustin Karns , @Josh McNicoll , @Sandra Roddy , @Robert E. Medlock II , @Account Closed

@Scott Trench

Thanks Scott! BP has already done so much for us. I think we may have the largest investor-focused meetup in Korea (on meetup.com).

I love your articles on syndication and financing by the way. I definitely learn a lot from them.

Any chance you're going to write about Regulation A+ that was trending before? Does that regulation have anything to do with helping the 'little guys' syndicate and raise money? Or is that more of a Crowdfunding rule?

Anyways, I appreciate the support. I hope to one day make out to Denver and meet up with the whole BP Crew ^^

@Dawn Anastasi

Hi Dawn! 

The ones in the meetup whose investments I know about are located in:

Jacksonville, Florida

Yuma, Arizona

California (forget where but either northern or central)

Illinois (rural area but forget the name)

Dallas

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Nebraska

Indianapolis

The investments vary from turnkey, to investing in areas where people were previously stationed before being transferred (military), to people investing in their hometowns with friends and family helping them run things. (and me, investing with people I met through BP ^^)

In Korea, we have people investing in Gangnam (from the song) and Sokcho (which is by the mountains outside of Seoul) and Busan.

I haven't heard anyone mention the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, yet. 

If you'd like to share some of your insights with us in the future, let me know. I think you'd be a great virtual speaker.

The REI meetup here in Seoul is thriving thanks to Dan, Benjamin and John.

Why do I get the feeling you are just getting warmed up! 

My first REI buy and hold in KC was largely a by-product of all the shared wisdom coming out of the meetings. :)

@Josh McNicoll

...as are you!

Glad the meetup helped but in the end, not everyone takes the kind of action you did. 

Way to go!

@Daniel Ryu

Good post and podcast Dan.  Through the podcast, I learned you were a Bruin.  Right on. 

Someday, I hope to become an entrepreneur in a foreign country (i.e. Mexico) and I might have to seek some of your awesome advice  ... and wisdom.  ;)  

@Sandra Roddy

That's very kind of you to say ^^

Although I'm not sure how much advice you'd need! Managing a portfolio while abroad? That takes a lot of wisdom.. 

Looking forward to seeing you in April!

That is such an amazing story @Daniel Ryu ! I just started producing my own podcast, and being interviewed on others.  It is so nerve racking in the beginning, but after you do it a few more times, you get used to it, like a conversation.  I am going to send you a colleague request, I would love to touch base and hear more about your story.  Awesome work!

Awesome

Can't wait to listen the podcast you were a guest on.

@Jared Lichtin

Thanks Jared! That's very kind of you. Look forward to hearing your podcast as well. 

@John Van Uytven

Thank John! See you in April!

@Daniel Ryu

It is all about having a good system in place!  Likewise, I admire you for jumping in with "virtual partners".  Now IMO, that is brave.    

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.