• Rental Property Investor
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Votes |
Closed Rentals #10 and #11 today

Cliff Harrison
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Posted May 1 2015, 21:33

#10 is a super clean move-in ready 3/1/1 in my favorite neighborhood in south kansas city.  2nd house using my portfolio lender Arvest.  Purchase was 62k with market rent around $900.  No work required on this one.

#11 is a house I previously had negotiated on and walked away from.  It sat on market for a month and went back and picked up in for $500 less than my previous max offer.  This one cost $55,000 in good condition, does need some tree work and a roof.  In order to swing the deal quickly this was an all cash deal and Arvest is starting a file today for a cash-out mortgage on it, which I will turn into three downpayments on additional rental properties. The house is a largish 3/1 with an add-on den with fireplace.  Decent blue collar area in south grandview.  I had previously bought a house on the same street and got a high volume of calls/interest on it.  I rented that other house at 800 but I'm sure this one will rent at least 875.  It's larger, still has functional garage, and I really was getting a large number of calls and showings on the other house - I ended up turning down three deposits.

Other Updates:

Had three move-ins for May 1st on new leases.  #8 house renovation in progress, the fence across the back was completed.  Installed the new roof on #7 house and signed a new lease with the tenant I inherited from previous owner - who did not have a valid lease in effect for over 24 months.  Had to pay $925 for an enormous dying elm tree removal on house #3 (Wally) and that was after I saved 575 by shopping around and going with a craigslist guy.  Spent 3 grand on two fences at #6 and #8 but they backyard view is incredibly better now for both.  Also had a microwave die at house #1 (Bella).

Inventory: I have two new-to-me vacant houses to fill and one rehab in progress.  All other units rented out and now occupied.  Hope to close about four more in May/June then take a few months off from acquisition and let things settle in for a while as I will have completed deployment of my primary residence home equity loan and the proceeds from a fancy car I used to have into rental properties.  So future acquisition will be a bit slower than the past five months have been, as one of my goals for this was to pretty much leave savings alone. After the next four I'll get into a pattern using cash flow to pay down mortgages one at a time, refinance out, and redeploy.  Plus the day job is really getting crazy with some initiatives the company has going on.  

Loading replies...