My First Rental

3 Replies

My first investment was a single family rental property I purchased in  Adelanto CA. Those of you who are fimiliar with the area properties are pretty cheap even in today's market. Anyways I purchased this property in April 2014 and sold it this year. It was not a very good investment! My first problem was that I did a very poor analyzation. I excluded so may expenditures due to my lack of knowledge in homeownership. Second, rental rates are super low in that particular area so it was hard getting some residual income off the monthly payment. Luckily I got a tenant who had no knowledge of the rental rates and ended up making a little bit of profit a month. BUT the worst thing of all I did wrong was not screen my tenant. The tenant happened to be an old friend of my father and I was too much in a hurry and excited to rent my property out. And last but not least I purchased my rental with a pool. Within a few weeks that pool went from Prestine clear water to swamp green, and the house a complete mess. And of course rent was always late. In conclusion I had a bad experience with my first investment. But I am dying for my next RE investment adventure. I learned a lot from this investment but I will be much more knowledgable and diligent on my next. Can't wait! Cheers! 

Super happy to hear that this situation propelled you to improve and achieve higher. Most give up at the sight of first failure. Luckily for you, you realize that the greats always fail but succeed to cover for that ground.

Looks at a majority of very successful people, they failed at one point or another... the difference is that those people learned from their mistakes... good job realizing this, I think you will be fine on your next one! Good Luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you