Just Finished Buy and Hold Rehab For just over $3000

13 Replies

Good Evening Everyone!

I'm please to announce that I am now putting the finishing touches on a property I bought for $17,500 a few months back. All in all I spent just over 3000 dollars and that is including all the inspections/appliances (lead, fridge, W/D). 

It seems cheap, and it is the reason is because I did everything myself. 

Being a DIYer isn't for everyone but I want to make it clear to people that 3 years ago I couldn't change a toilet let a lone renovate a whole house. Through perseverance and mass research with a huge amount of hope I have been able to achieve the level of "handyman" I am at now. I say this not to build me up but in hopes of showing someone who may not have the confidence to do a project themselves it CAN be done.

This isn't the first one I have done I did another about a year ago not to the extent of this one. Each place comes with it's own challenges. This house in particular had a massive termite problem that I failed to find on inspection (wouldn't of changed my opinion on buying the property anyways, just gave me a whole lot more work then I had hoped for).

Glad to finally be done with this one and I am excited to start on the new one that I closed on a few weeks ago. I will try to do a better job of documenting that one. Here are some pictures!

Well done @Tariq B. !  How long did this take you?  My favorites are the bedroom with wood floors and the bath.  Are you sure you should've taken down the wainscot wallpaper?  I was kind of likin' that lol!

Glad to see a fellow DIYer is still out there.  With everyone else working 'on' their business, I guess there are officially two of us left!  Cheers!

@Steve Vaughan haha I couldn't stand the wall paper, it's just as well I took it down because that it how I spotted the termites. It wouldn't of been able to stay anyways because I had to rip that wall out to fix the damage 

It took me about 3 and a half months, working on days off from work. I know! It seems very tough to come by people that want to do the work themselves. I could contract it out but I find great joy in doing the work.

@Tariq B. ....job well done!!

I am closing on my personal residence soon and i plan to do as much of the work myself, first timer.  I will give it a try and see how much i can accomplish. It looks simple from my vantage point, but between working two jobs and being  a single mom, i am keeping my fingers cross.

Once again, great job!!

Originally posted by @Charmaine M. :

@Tariq B. ....job well done!!

I am closing on my personal residence soon and i plan to do as much of the work myself, first timer.  I will give it a try and see how much i can accomplish. It looks simple from my vantage point, but between working two jobs and being  a single mom, i am keeping my fingers cross.

Once again, great job!!

As long as you think it will take, multiply that number times three and add a little change and you're close to how long it will actually take. It never goes as smoothly as you expect but stick with it and over time you'll learn little nuggets of information that will help you on the next one. I also recommend a subscription The Family Handyman, I've learned tons of those little nuggets from that magazine.

@Marc M. ...thanks for recommending the magazine., will definitely look into getting it.

I am not naive to think i can do everything in a reasonable time frame.  I know sooner or later i will have to call in help for some of the bigger projects, but i am willing to give it a try to get a feel of how things are done. I cannot afford to call a handyman to fix every little problem, so i might as well learn as much as i can.

Thanks for the advice and recommendation....appreciate it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you