Real life Breaking Bad? This was a crazy one for sure...

8 Replies

I've flipped a lot of houses that had meth contamination in them, but this one took the cake. In hindsight, it's pretty obvious that these sellers were dealers... and as it turns out cookers as well (is that even a word...?) Anyway, for anyone who has ever been scared to flip a meth lab I hope this 6 minute video takes away that fear. 

https://youtu.be/NlpRLyabMgQ

Spoiler Alert! For those of you who want to skip the entertaining 6 minute video, this house tested higher than I have EVER seen before, but I had it professionally remediated and still made a 40k net profit on it. Tip of the day: If you suspect that the house has meth contamination, get it tested EARLY in the process, it will save you time, headache (no pun intended), and money. Enjoy. :)

In Utah do you have to disclose that it was a cook site? I imagine that would be a turn off to some buyers. I don't care how well it was re mediated I wouldn't live there.

Hey @Ryan Dossey , we did disclose it to the new buyers, and since it was professionally remediated and below the legal limit they weren't scared of it. I don't think you legally have to disclose it if it has been remediated, but I think morally you should. Good question. 

I think a lot of people are really really scared of meth houses, but they really shouldn't be. It's just like any other repair, time and money. 

The life of the real estate investor is anything but boring. May I ask what drives the cost of meth remediation? Is it roughly proportional to square footage or the levels of meth that are present or does it vary wildly case by case? I will not be surprised if I come across one now and again. Let's just say there is a reason they filmed Breaking Bad here...

Hey @Brock Wiberg that's a good question. I think the square footage of the "infected" property is the primary driver of cost, but I do think that the contamination level plays into it as well. It has been my experience that with a 2000 SF home I'm generally looking around 4-6k to remediate, then of course you have to clean up the meth remediation company's mess as well. My advice is to test it early so that if you have to remediate you can save yourself the cost of redoing work after the cleanup company. 

Are you on my New Mexico buyer's list? If you aren't, you definitely should be. Shoot me a private message and we will get it worked out. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you